Electrical woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical woes

Sorry I haven't been around for a while, too busy riding, working and scoping out new "toys" for Suzi to spend all my hard earned money on, not to mention supposedly saving for a wedding. That's over now, I can't ride and here's why:

I have a gremlin in the electrics. It all started about 3 weeks ago. I blew the fuse (This is a 1978 GS750E with only 1 fuse, the 10amp main). I thought nothing of it, I replaced the fuse and went on riding. a week later, POP another fuse. Again, thought little of it and replaced it and rode on, 4 days later, POP again! still, I figure it's a loose wire under the side cover, I'll tape it later. Yesterday, POP, okay, it's time to fix it...tomorrow. Today, PIPPITY PIPPITY POPOPOPOP I went through 6 fuses today. Each getting closer to the previous. first, I lasted about 2 hrs, then 1 hr, then 40 minutes, then 30 minutes then I got to work. I taped up all the loose wires I could find, then on the way home, POP, pull over, replace fuse, curse like a sailor, get going, make it 2 miles then POP. Replace fuse, curse like a drunken sailor, turn the key on ka BOOOM backfire. fuse blows. Last f(*&#ing one. got a ride home, went out, jiggled wires, popped new fuse in, made it to parking space, came up here and wrote this. Here are my thoughts.

1. It's the electrical ignition, the bike is heating up, vibrating, and shakin the wire that was my problem last time to ground out.
    2. Its the coils. The bike is heating up, a coil is temporarily loosing resistance, sending a large shock backwards.
    3. I'm an idiot and should not workon nor ride bikes (this is a passing thought)
    4. The whole wiring harness is goin in the dumpster, and I'm remounting the 1000 engine.

What do you guys think?? This is my commuter, so I need help ASAP THANKS ~Ben

Don't loose hope (well, not yet!)

I have had similar trial, and often it is a simple matter of a live wire being grounded....a wire worn through, a connection has come loose etc...

A ten amp is a small main fuse......

Comment

Well, I think I fixed it, now on to that front tire.... I spent an hour inspecting the wiring around the side cover and airbox, which was the problem last time... not there. took off Gas tank to look at the wires into the coils, but before I even looked at them I saw white poking out where it should be black. As it turns out the gas tank had worn away the insulation of the upper wiring harness and cut into the white wire and was working on the white/green and white/red wires. I unwound that portion of the wiring harness and cut all three wires and used butt connectors to splice the three wires together. A little heatshrink, 3 layers of electrical tape around the harness, and 15 fuses later and it 's good to go. The white wire was live, the white/green and the white/red were both dead. They are both terminated under the left side cover and no longer attached at all. I haven't gotten out my diagram to see what they are supposed to be. So far only 6 miles on it, but I'm confident.

Comment

Ben,

Shouldn't the fuse for a 78 GS750 be a 15 amp fuse, and not a 10 amp fuse?
        Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
        "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
        1982 GS1100E
        1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Is it a 15 amp?? It's been a 10 since I bought the bike, but I'll check my book, when I find it... now where did I put it.....

Comment

Heh heh, this is easy to settle. The correct fuse for a 78 GS750 is 15 amp and thass a fact. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by GSbuilder
            Is it a 15 amp?? It's been a 10 since I bought the bike, but I'll check my book, when I find it... now where did I put it.....
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X