My bike is actually running pretty good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bike is actually running pretty good

Finally. I found a few plug boots that were not screwed on all the way. Damned, and I ordered some coils and plug boots. Maybe I could return them, or just go ahead and put them on. Anyways, I blasted around a bit to see what she had, not bad. I like the induction howl of the POD's, sounds pretty cool. Not near the power of my ZRX1200, but it has some gidiup. I have one of the front calipers off, so I couldn't use the front brakes. I will start working on rebuilding these, as I have the parts to do that. I also need to replace the fork seals.

Congrats.

I have not seen any of your previous posts to see what all you have done, so I have to ask ...
    did you re-jet for the pods?

If you did not, you are not done yet.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

you don't rejet for 29's, Just stating it so not to confuse Slip. But some plug chops would be in order to see if the 29's are dialed in otherwise you do need to play with the jetting.
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Congrats.

I have not seen any of your previous posts to see what all you have done, so I have to ask ...
        did you re-jet for the pods?

If you did not, you are not done yet.

The only thing I did to the carbs, was to dip and rebuild them. When I got the bike, it was kinda sluggish in the midrange. I assumed it was running rich, because when I took the plugs out, they had soot on them. The jetting is the same as other VM29 setups I have read on here. 112.5 mains, 25 pilots. And the only other thing I did was to put the needle clip in the second position from the top. They were in the middle position. But come to think of it, the rich condition could have been from dirty pod filters, or the plug caps not on all the way, or from weak spark. I guess now that I have new coils, and plug caps coming, I might as well install them to see if runs even better.

Comment

So far with the initial cost of the bike of $1500, I now have about $1800 total into the project. I guess this is not bad.

Comment

Working...
          X