Filling the ENTIRE brake system.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filling the ENTIRE brake system.......

I recently replaced ALL components to the front brake system as I fitted this GSXR front end to my 550EF.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get brake fluid into the system. I hooked everything up but left all of the fittings partially loose. Pumped the brake lever with the Master Cylinder full and found weapage at all connections.....however, I can't get the system to fill up so that it will build pressure so that it can be bled..........HELP!

Any suggestions?

Try this link...

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

One technique is to tighten all the fittings expect for the first one above the caliper. Get a syringe and a piece of tubing and attach it to the bleeder valve. Use this to fill the caliper until the fluid is coming out the fitting. Doing this will at least get you started. I've never done it, but concievably you could continue upwards by tightening the first fitting when it leaks, loosening the next, then the next etc.

I feel your pain! I just did the fronts on my FZR and it took FOREVER to get them full and bled after I rebuilt the calipers...I must have pumped that lever a thousand times before I really was able to bleed effectively!

Good luck,
      Parker

Comment

I've been around enough to know how to use the search feature..............

Comment

You want your connections tight, fill the reservoir with fluid, pump the brake a few times, hold the lever (brake applied), crack open the bleeder until fluid or air stop coming out, tighten bleeder screw, release lever, repeat until no air comes out. Make sure fluid is kept in the reservoir or you will have to start all over.

Some will back bleed the system by pumping fluid through the cracked bleeder until fluid comes out into the reservoir.

Comment

thanks maparker!

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
              I've been around enough to know how to use the search feature..............
              Super...because the answer is there...

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                Super...because the answer is there...
                You're a jerk!!

Comment

Quick question. Where do I get a syringe from?

Comment

You're a jerk!!
                    No, not really...

As you say, you've been around enough to know how to use the search function....
                    And the answer is there, 10 times over....

Have fun...somethin' about bleeding these bike brakes that is just a chore.

I'm headin' out right now to tear down the rear caliper on the dragbike...keeps sticking.

Comment

just thought I was missing something as I've been trying this for over an hour and haven't had to add ANY fluid yet!! I'm using an Actron pump system as in Bikecliff's write-up as well.......

Comment

With trucks and such, we always make sure everything it together first, then open the bleeder and leave the cap off of the master and let gravity take over for awhile. Then bleed them (bleeder open, squeeze SLOW, tighten bleeder, release brakes, repeat).

Comment

just thought I was missing something as I've been trying this for over an hour and haven't had to add ANY fluid yet!! I'm using an Actron pump system as in Bikecliff's write-up as well.......
                          I used the mighty-vac setup and it seemed to take forever...

Comment

I found the problem......

my brake lever/MC assy was airlocked!!!

I popped the bleed on the 2008 GSXR lever assy and pumped with the Actron until it started to pull the fluid through.....tightened the bleeder at the lever, then it started to pump through the lines!

Make sure you prime your Master Cylinder/Lever assembly before attempting to fill your brake system...........

Comment

This issue comes up all the time here. The master needs to be primed. One easy way is to use a long tube on one of the bleeding nipples and suck on it with your mouth. Clear tubing is recommended so you can see when fluid is coming through. Once the master is primed it will start pumping so you can bleed the brakes.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X