Slick engine case removal trick needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slick engine case removal trick needed

I'm finishing off changing all the case screws from the use-once beauties that were installed at the factory to stainless Allen bolts on my 81 GS650G. Since the left engine casing cover has never been off, its stuck solid even though I've drilled off the heads of the remaining stuck four original screws and removed the new Allen bolts that were installed there as well.

I want to get the cover broken free without gouging it up to do it. The gap is quite small and a screwdriver would just make a mess. I have a new gasket ready to install, so I'm not worried about that, but is there a slick trick to moving a stuck case cover that's been in place for 28 years?

wack at the case with a rubber mallet or dead blow sand filled hammer. that should loosen it up. what cover are you removing?
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
      wack at the case with a rubber mallet or dead blow sand filled hammer. that should loosen it up. what cover are you removing?
      I have a few seized screws on both the left and the right side engine case covers, so both. I tried the rubber mallet bit and it just seemed to bounce off, but I'll give it another try.

Comment

Answer: There is no slick way to do it. I beat up on it with a rubber mallet which may have helped. I ended up using a sharpened wood chisel, and carefully tapped it into the gap. This opened it up and eventually the casing cover came off.

Comment

The problem you are experiencing is the corrosion on the dowel pins holding the covers tight. Wood chisel will work wonders. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            The problem you are experiencing is the corrosion on the dowel pins holding the covers tight. Wood chisel will work wonders. Ray.
            Agreed. The dowels are located one at the front kinda toward the top and one on the bottom i do believe. You can kinda see the hump where they are. The wood chisel Ray suggests works fantastic, just be patient and try not to gouge the gasket mating surface up..Also, if you're speaking of the Stator cover when you say LEFT CASE COVER dont forget that you have a big magnet in there trying to fight you too...Just take it slow, you will succeed!

Comment

If you must use a wood chisel, use it on a spot that is double sealed, ie., there is no oil directly behind it. The front dowel bolt area is a good place. Also, the rear of the stator cover has an oil-less chamber where the wires exit. The only other places would be round domes around the remaining bolts. Just break it loose a little, then use the rubber hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Agreed. The dowels are located one at the front kinda toward the top and one on the bottom i do believe. You can kinda see the hump where they are. The wood chisel Ray suggests works fantastic, just be patient and try not to gouge the gasket mating surface up..Also, if you're speaking of the Stator cover when you say LEFT CASE COVER dont forget that you have a big magnet in there trying to fight you too...Just take it slow, you will succeed!
                That huge stator magnet was exactly the cause for the resistance I think. I did get the case cover off and there was no damage, so thanks to all for their suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                X