Is it the alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it the alternator?

I have a 86 gs550L that have been parked for a few months (maybe 6) but it runs, the battery is VERY weak due to so many tries to start it these months...

Yesterday i pulled it out of the garage to get it ready for the road and when it was time to start it i "jumped" it from a car battery (Car was not running) the bike starts fine but when i disconect the cables, the bike runs for a couple of seconds and dies!

Is this something normal or the bike should keep running?

Thanks,

Marcelo

Battery

I think your problem is the battery and nothing more. Check it to see if it will take a charge and go from there. Lots of these bikes won't run with a totally depleted battery....even if it would, you're better off with a charged battery so that your bike's charging system won't have to work so hard. Let us know what happens!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

battery

I tought so but there was a guy there with me and he kept saying it was the alternator... (even tho he does not know about or own a bike) :?

Comment

On a car, it would be an alternator. Cars are designed to run off the alternator almost exclusively once it is running. On a bike, a flat battery will cause it to kill if the battery is flat enough. Test the battery first. Otherwise, startlooking in the stator papers. Good Luck~Ben

Comment

Re: Is it the alternator?

With a dead battery, its normal for the bike to die. Just take the battery out of the bike a trickle charge it ........or better, buy a new battery. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Marcelo

Is this something normal or the bike should keep running?

Thanks,

Marcelo
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

THANKS

THANK you guys, that's what i thought!

Comment

Working...
            X