Help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!!!

Son just called from Maine. His 81GS650 is making a clicking noise that sounds as if it is coming from the front lower part of the engine, when in neutral and revs up he engine. Oil level is fine, but he is getting oil light coming on the off, etc. . He was out getting this years inspection sticker. Went to a motorcycle mechanic who thought it might be "rods". He suggested looking at the oil to see if there was any shiny metal. If there is he thinks the motor is about to go, and would not be worth repiaring.

Thoughts my brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen

Yeah, check for metal in the oil. If it is there you have a problem. Tow options are to rebuild it or replace it with a used motor. Those GS 650 motors are STRONG motors...I would suggest looking for a used one and then tearing into the old one to see if it is salvagable (is that a word?).

Hap

Comment

Help

Hap, question.....is tearing into the engine worth it! Or is it better idea to just go with used low milage engine/

Stephen

Comment

Used engine would be the way to go, you may be able to buy a complete bike with a good engine, cheep. save the old one for parts??

Comment

Help

I have never installed a motorcycle engine before. What would it cost to have done?

Comment

tapping + oil light coming on just can't be good...

Comment

Working...
            X