Stator Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Connection

I removed the stator cover for cleanup and some mild polishing. In order to get the new gasket in I have to thread the stator wiring through the opening in the new gasket. To do that the stator has to be disconnected so the wire can be routed through the gasket.

Where's the connection for the stator? It looks like the hard wiring to the stator threads its way around the case cover, past the starter motor and way on up. Is there no connection farther down? I certainly can't see one and the manual is silent on this issue as far as I can see.

You are correct.
    Stator wiring harness goes from the stator, thru starter motor area and then up to left side cover area before there is a connector (or bullet connectors).

Although I dont understand what you say about wiring going thru gasket.
    I recall (on mine anyway) that on the wiring harness close to the stator, inside the stator cover, there is a rubber gland formed right on the wiring harness. And this rubber gland is pushed into a slot on the cover. Maybe that might appear to be the wiring harness going thru a gasket, but it is not.

Last edited by Redman; 06-04-2009, 08:57 PM.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Yep. They probably have a connection somewhere under the tank. Do you need a new gasket? Mine was in solid shape (on an engine that sat 8+ years) when I took it off so I used the old trick of putting a light coat of grease on it and reusing. Four years and a lot of hot GA miles later it was still leak free when I redid my stator a few months ago.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        You are correct.
        Stator wiring harness goes from the stator, thru starter motor area and then up to left side cover area before there is a connector (or bullet connectors).

Although I dont understand what you say about wiring going thru gasket.
        I recall (on mine anyway) that on the wiring harness close to the stator, inside the stator cover, there is a rubber gland formed right on the wiring harness. And this rubber gland is pushed into a slot on the cover. Maybe that might appear to be the wiring harness going thru a gasket, but it is not.

I'm sure the 850 is the same as the 650 in this regard and this makes my job a whole lot simpler. The stator cover was sealed with gasket goop (an earlier stator replacement repair) and I wanted to go back to using a gasket. Thanks for that information.

Comment

Hi Mr. Flaggo60,

Lots of pictures here:

Stator Replacement

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi Mr. Flaggo60,

Lots of pictures here:

Stator Replacement

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            This is Wonderful!!! Many many thanks, Cliff.

Comment

Working...
            X