Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cam chain tension with manual tensioner question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain tension with manual tensioner question...

OK go fast guys.

How much slack should there be in the cam chain when using a manual tensioner?
    Remember, this is not a street engine. This is on the drag bike.

And how do I properly check it?
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Bob, call me at 714-356-7845. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      Bob, call me at 714-356-7845. Ray.
      Ray...I think you're a great guy...always ready to help people...

But what's with this "call me" thing all the time???
      Never just an answer, always "call me"...

Not really complaining, just don't understand.

Maybe you don't like typing....I like it. Learned how in high school and still can type fast as heck.

But man, I hate phones, I don't call anyone unless it's an emergency and I don't answer when it rings...
      That's why I have an answering machine...

If I could meet ya at a bar and talk, cool. Walk next door and talk, cool.
      Pick up the phone, dial and yak...ain't gonna happen.

Just wanted you to know it's not personal.

Comment

Baatfam

The manual cam chain tensioner is intended to replace the automatic tensioner.

The tensioner is normally adjusted at regular valve adjustment intervals

The tensioner has a tightening NuT and a lock nut.

The lock nut has a o-ring to prevent oil seepage.

The lock nut is loosened until it is loose.

The tightening nut is tightened till it is tight

The chain in tightened till when the engine is revered it doesn't not slap slap.

If the chain doest not slap slap , but starts to scruhcg scrucch then there can be an issue.

If the issue occurs then the engine will go Whoooo Whooo Waaaaaa.

It is best to limit the Waaaaaa

So when adjusting the tightening nut

After tightening the ......................

I'm starting to get carpal tunnel .......do me a favor.

Hey Battfam why not just call Ray he will tell u so the motor don't start makin any more noise.

Else you can start another thread asking for advice on how to break a chain so you don't have to split your cases.

Comment

LOL...you're funny...

No need to call, found it over at dragbike.com...
          Besides, if I wanted to call someone, I could of called the guy that built my motor...
          Much, much, much easier to just post here and come back later....works 99% of the time...

For the benefit of those who may search later...

The way I do it is, I remove the plugs and ignition cover and rotate the engine with a wrench nice and easy while hand tighting the tensioner with my fingers until I can't turn it anymore then lock it down.
          I pull the cam cover, use a wrench on the starter side and rock it. Also adjust by hand to remove the slack.
          The directions say to tighten it as you turn the motor over and back off a little after contact...
          Put a socket on your starter nut and turn crank in normal engine direction and tighten as tight as you can with your fingers only.Works for me.

There was one guy that did it by sound with the motor running...but that sounded like something I didn't want to do. Besides, with my exhaust, I doubt I could hear it.

Thanks for the help guys...

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            But man, I hate phones, I don't call anyone unless it's an emergency and I don't answer when it rings...

HAHA, and i thought i was the only one. i'm the same way, so i know what you mean... I hate phones.

Comment

Originally posted by errorcauser View Post
              HAHA, and i thought i was the only one. i'm the same way, so i know what you mean... I hate phones.
              My wife says it's because I don't like people, but I don't believe her...

Comment

Working...
              X