Iam an idiot...wrong oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iam an idiot...wrong oil

for some insane reason I put regular automotive oil (10w40) in my 79 GS550E..now I have a slipping clutch and out of phase exhaust poping when I down shift, the popping may not be linked to the oil..but I really need help... can I fix this without changing my clutch? ie.. using the proper oil? Ive only ridden at the most, 1 mile with this oil in. any input would be helpfull, thanks.

Just change the oil. Check the oil's rating. Even automotive oil is fine as long as it doesn't contain the anti-friction additives of many oils. You want an oil with an SF or SE rating.

Comment

What type

Hey Metalbox,.....just out of curiosity, what brand was the oil you used? The reason I ask is because most 10-40W isn't the EC type. I hope you got your problem fixed and I agree with Billy...you should be alright.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

!

will the oil have any harmfull effects on the clutch? I assumed that the plates might soak up the other oil.

Comment

It may slip a little while until the new oil works its way into the plates. But the slipping should clear up.

Comment

I had a similar experience with my V65 Sabre a couple of years ago. I was on the road and got the oil changed at an independent shop that put an oil in that caused my clutch to slip. If I remember right it was Motul oil but I can?t remember the specifics.

After the oil change I noticed any time I got on the throttle the clutch would slip. I road the bike home, about 700 miles, taking it easy so the clutch didn't slip. At that time I hadn't had any trouble with oils that I used and so I tried changing the oil back to the typical Castrol dyno oil that I used.

The clutch still slipped a little but it took a lot more throttle to get it to start. I ran that oil for about 1500 miles and the clutch kept getting better. Then I changed the oil again and the slipping totally stopped.

Mike

Comment

Ummm, I use dead dino car oil all the time.......Guess I'm too cheap to buy Harley oil :roll: ...

Comment

I only use automotive oil, Castrol GTX 10W40. Right now there's Wolf's Head oil in it, 10w30 (I know, I know, wrong weight) and I don't experience any slipping, even under heavy, "Look mom, 1 wheel" action. I ride a 78gs750. If you are experiencing problems, it may be a sign that your clutch really IS worn, but you can just change it back to the 6 dollar a quart oil and if it isn't worn, it'll fix it... back to what it was.

Comment

Working...
                X