Back brake pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back brake pedal

82 GS11E the back brake has to be puched all the way down to engage brakes. Is this the pads or bleeding????
    TIA

Could be a one of several things or a combination of them all. There is an adjuster on the master cylinder that dictates where the engagement begins, air in the system, or a weak brake line that's expanding too much under hydraulic pressure.

Comment

Where is the adjuster i looked and didn't see one

Comment

Originally posted by bostrom155
        Where is the adjuster i looked and didn't see one
        Between the rear of the pedal and the master cylinder. It should have a threaded rod that can be lengthened to give you less play.

Comment

After thinking about this a bit more adjusting that pedal is probably only going to change the heighth of the pedal. It's likely either air in the system of a spongy line.

Comment

I don't have my stock setup anymore which I think should be similar to yours so i may be wrong here. But, isn't there a bolt with a locknut on the pedal assembly itself. If there is then a combination of adjusting the rod from the pedal to the master cylinder and adjusting that bolt might get rid of some of the extra travel.

Comment

it has the steel braided lines and they look new, i'll try the petal adjuster (i found it) hate bleeding the lines always screw it up

Comment

If it isn't the height of the pedal, and bleeding doesn't fix it, you may have glazed your pads. This occurs when the pads are run too hot by heavy braking, and it's basically as it sounds. The pedal will be way too soft, then if you can get it to engage, it usually is grabby. Try bleeding the lines, adjusting the hieght, then, if all else fails, slap in new pads. Make sure the rotor isn't pitted or anything, if it is, get one from a junker. They are extra spendy new. Bike rotors are not cuttable, they cannot be easily resurfaced. Good luck, ~Ben

Comment

Working...
                X