Rear tire leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear tire leaks

Ok, just wanted to complain. I've bead blasted the wheel, painted and polished it, and had a new Avon tire and valve stem installed and the darned thing leaks.

I put some soapy water on the valve stem and it doesn't look to have any problems. This leaves either the wheel, which didn't leak before, the tire, or the sealing area.

This bike has been a nightmare. When it's done I'll be one happy SOB.

what bike is it? Just because its a mag wheel doesnt mean its tubeless. Well a spray bottle with a little soapy water and 5 mins will tell you where its leaking?

Comment

Just put a tube in the tire and run it.

Comment

Hi Mr. reddirtrider,

I've got one of each on my bike, rear wheel says "Tubeless Applicable" and the front does not. I use a tube in the front, not in the rear. No problems at all. Just don't let the air pressure get low in the tube. That makes them run hotter.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It's an 83 GS750ES, it's tubeless and the rear tire i replaced did not have a tube. Yea, I'll have to take off the tire and check it for leaks. I was posting because I was irritated. There's a lot of work and money spent on this particular item and to have it leak ...

Sure I can run a tube, but I'm not going to do that unless I have a wheel that's defective and I really doubt that's the issue since the old tire was tubeless and it didn't leak.

Again, just venting.

Comment

What did you use for a tire mounting lubricant?
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I found quite a bit of corrosion inside the rims of my 850 which led to leaks. They look show quality on the outside but inside there is pitting all over the place. As mentioned already, I suggest you try soapy water solution and try to find the source of the leak. Valve stems for the 750ES are the rubber type. I have an extra set if you need some, or go to the dealer.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I had the dealer mount and balance, so if there's a problem with the valve stem they're going to fix it. I'll take it off later today after I get the stator cover back on and try bleeding the front brakes again.

The only tires I mount myself are on my dirt bikes.

Comment

It's leaking around the bead in 3 places. It's off to the dealer now.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
                    It's leaking around the bead in 3 places. It's off to the dealer now.
                    If they had brains they would have cleaned the bead area before they put the tyre on and checked with soapy water after fittment. Sounds like a dodgey store

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                      If they had brains they would have cleaned the bead area before they put the tyre on and checked with soapy water after fittment. Sounds like a dodgey store
                      Well, after another trip back they finally cleaned the bead properly and it's holding air. I thought I'd post this to show what the problem was. I like closure.

Comment

Very few, if any, shops ever clean a bead. Since I started changing my own tires a while back, I've found that, gee, somehow I don't have to add air nearly as often.

And I wouldn't trust a shop them to tell me whether the valve stems are bad or getting old either. Valve stems are cheap, especially the rubber ones -- replace them yourself every few years.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                        X