Only running with choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only running with choke

Running a search now. Need this bike to go from New York to Boston on Sunday so Im trying for quick answers to start me off. Its a 1980 GS550E. Bike is running however it is bogging during acceleration unless choke is on. Culprits? Carbs are CLEAN. Just put in Dyna S and timed her up. Static light comes on Idle Advance and off shortly after TDC. Replacing battery tomorrow after the new one is charged. Thanks.

Hi Mr. Jebus23,

Sorry for the basic questions, but we have to start troubleshooting somewhere.

Were the valve clearances adjusted before you synced the carbs? Are you sure there are no air intake leaks (new carb boots and O-rings)?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Bike is running however it is bogging during acceleration unless choke is on.
      Sound like its lean. Did you check for air leaks?

Does it idle with the choke off?

Comment

How did you CLEAN the carbs?

Taking off the bowls and spraying what you can see just isn't enough.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The carbs were broken down and cleaned properly. the orings were all replaced as well as in the boot. it idles with the choke off. i can even get it to go and when i take it through the gears it just bogs unless i have choke on. then it runs normal.

Comment

Did you remove the needle jet and clean the bore it goes in?
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

it's too lean!!!

after putting on my K&N PODS and 4to1 my 550E did the same thing.....runs good with the choke on but bogs out from about mid throttle on, except when holding the choke.

Re-jet!!!

Comment

yes everything was cleaned. How many turns out for stock? i put them at 3.5 turns out

Comment

Are you running pods and a pipe OR stock airbox and exhaust?

Comment

stock airbox and exhaust. i turned the pilot screw another 1/4 turn out to make it a bit richer. thats a total of 3.75 turns out. i rode it all afternoon and got mediocre results. the bike needs to be babied gradually through the gears, and is horrible on hills. it just bogs and drags so much. i can correct it by pulling the choke out all the way sometimes. I also dropped a new battery in this morning, rode it about 50 miles. stopped for about 4 hours, cranked it and it started right up. then drove it all the way home at night with high beams on and now the battery wont turn the bike over. can this be related? did it drain just because of high beams? what should i tackle next?

Comment

and just to clarify with the carbs.....i cleaned those suckers good, everything was removed and cleaned. EVERYTHING. I cant sync them because i dont have the tool to do so and i felt the dual exhaust....it seems the flow on the right side pipe is a tad stronger than the left....could this mean they arent synced...would that produce these symptoms?

i dont think that would be my problem though since i rode the bike for several hours and many miles after the carbs were cleaned and it was perfectly normal. im questioning my charging system, and air leaks. the only new thing since this is the Dyna S.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2009, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus23 View Post
                        and just to clarify with the carbs.....i cleaned those suckers good, everything was removed and cleaned. EVERYTHING. I cant sync them because i dont have the tool to do so and i felt the dual exhaust....it seems the flow on the right side pipe is a tad stronger than the left....could this mean they arent synced...would that produce these symptoms?

i dont think that would be my problem though since i rode the bike for several hours and many miles after the carbs were cleaned and it was perfectly normal. im questioning my charging system, and air leaks. the only new thing since this is the Dyna S.
                        Depends on how far out they are. Do a bench sync. That should get you pretty close.

Comment

The timing you explained. You have it lighting up on the F mark right? Do you have a timing light?
                          If everything is clean as you say it sounds like you have the timing WAY off.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I dont see how the timing could be off. as i rotate the engine with the wrench clockwise, i watched it go past full advance, light up right on the idle advance mark, and turn off somewhere after tdc. did i do that incorrect?

Comment

You should go past TDC first then to F and then to the advance mark. Static timing should be on the F mark.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X