Brake Light Feature - regular flicker in lower element

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Light Feature - regular flicker in lower element

Recently I changed the light bulb in the rear brake light plastic enclosure.
    (1980 GS550). I was surprised to see that when the bike is running, the top element glows all the time (normal?) but the bottom element flickers fast but regularly, and when front/back brakes are used, the top element stays glowing and the bottom element goes from a flicker to always on. When I release the brakes, the bottom element goes from always on back to the regular flicker.

Is this normal OEM behavior, or has the previous owner added a nice little safety feature? I actually like the flicker.

F.

It sounds like someone has installed a safety feature on your bike. It's a brake light pulse to alert the drivers behind you that you're stopping. The taillight prtion of your back light is supposed to always be on as well as the the headlight, a safety feature mandated in '79, I think.

Comment

Except they put it on wrong, it flickers when the brakes are not on?
      That has to be confusing for the idiot cager that's not paying attention anyway.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

flickering when brakes /NOT/ in use

I like it this way -- a flicker always in the bottom filament to gain attention unless the brakes are poked. I'm pretty sure I /wouldn't/ want a fresh flicker to indicate braking. If I was in a car following a bike I wouldn't take a flicker to mean brake, but a flicker would get my attention. Flickers are used now in traffic lights to get attention only - flicker is /not/ used to indicate anything other than "Pay Attention To Me".

A "new" solid red glow is a universal sign of active braking, IMHO. Flickers are for attention getting only.

K

Comment

One more question, how will you know when all this flickering burns out your brake light bulb?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X