valve adjustment 82 GS1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve adjustment 82 GS1100e

I have read a few threads on valve adjustments that mention shims. My manual doesn't refer to them at all. I have a feeler guage and gaskets and I know to adjust when the engine is cold. Do I need other parts? Thanks.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

I'm not 100% certain about your model, but you've probably got threaded adjusters on forked rockers.

Comment

There is a special tool from Suzuki, that turns the adjuster, and holds it as you tighten the lock nut. Years ago about $8.00 & well worth it

Comment

tool

Motion Pro wants $50.00!!!!!! for that tool. What a rip off. Know of a cheaper one anywhere? I need to do my valves to.
        Mark

Comment

Just came back from a ride. I finally think I got my jetting right, pulls good and plugs are the right color. I will search around and see what I can find for the tool. I may spring for one since I do plan on keeping the bike. Thanks for your input.
          1982 GS1000S Katana
          1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by pano
            Just came back from a ride. I finally think I got my jetting right, pulls good and plugs are the right color. I will search around and see what I can find for the tool. I may spring for one since I do plan on keeping the bike. Thanks for your input.
            From Ron Ayers

Part Number: 09917-14910
            Description: DRIVER TAPPET A
            Price: $3.69

You will also need a metric box end wrench...8 or 9 mm I believe...go ahead and just buy a set of small metric wrenches, you will use them.

Valve clearance is .004 to .005 inches when cold. You need to get a manual to insure that you know what position the cams need to be in when you adjust the valves.

Hap

Comment

It's 9mm.

Comment

Thanks Hap. I was only able to find the Motion Pro set in 5 or 6 places for about $44.
                1982 GS1000S Katana
                1982 GS1100E

Comment

Here's how you want the cams positioned for adjusting. With the crankshaft at the T mark on the signal generator and the notches in the cams facing away from each other you adjust the intake and exhaust valves on #1, EX on #2, and IN on #3. Then rotate the crank to the T mark with the notches in the cams facing each other. You'll adjust IN on #2, EX on #3, and IN and EX on #4.

Comment

Get a 6 point box end wrench...12 point does not work well. Are you sure thats a 9mm?? I think its a 10...may be wrong though.

Comment

Mine are 9mm. The way Suzuki pulled parts off the shelf for their older bikes I'd be willing to bet all the bikes using threaded adjusters have 9mm nuts on the rockers.

Comment

Whats all this screw adjuster tappet stuff? Sounds a bit like chain vs shaft to me!!

Comment

Don't confuse the screw tappet adjusters with the srew shafts found on the GS1000 power boats.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X