Small parts...working while blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small parts...working while blind

I have just pulled the carbs off my 1980 GS1000e to clean the carbs.Now it seems that the small spring clip that retains the needle valve under the float has escaped.Looking for it has proven fruitless.Has anyone ever had the experience of running it withut one? Looks like the float will not allow the valve to escape ,,but then again.Anyone ever try?

I'd just find some small diameter wire, possibly from a spring laying around (I don't throw them out - ever) and bend it up.

Comment

Theres a spring clip to hold the needle? No one ever told me this and my carbs don't have any such thing. The float keeps mine in, and it does an outstanding job of doing so.

Comment

Not sure why those clips were ever installed. No problem leaving it off.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Some carbs have them some don't. The carbs on my bike did not have them.

Comment

Don't sweat it. Not needed as Steve stated.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

small parts

It is going back together today without the spring.How it escaped is a mystery as the bench was cleared and a white towell was down to capture things and cleaner.The carb cleaner soaked the towell and bubbled the paint on the bench.powerful stuff.Hope to meet some of you guys at the dragon this next wekend.I 'll be the fat ol' bald guy with the beard anf motorcycle t-shirt!

Comment

I 'll be the fat ol' bald guy with the beard and motorcycle t-shirt!
                That probably describes more than half the members on this forum, including me

Comment

I don't have a beard.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    I don't have a beard.
                    I do have a beard.

But I also have hair (ie NOT BALD)

Comment

Working...
                    X