Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'77 750 electrical components install advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'77 750 electrical components install advice please.

I have a dyna s, some bandit 600 coils, and plan on getting the parts at the local auto store to perform the coil relay mod, and they're all going on my bike very soon.

That being said, I don't have a ton of experience with general vehicular electrical systems (I pwn mechanical problems, but am still not so comfortable with electrical stuff yet), and no prior experience with GS's. I own the appropriate Haynes manual, have the stock wiring diagrams, the desire and will to learn, and an aptitude for anything I genuinely put my mind to. And I'm modest.

Are there any things I should look out for while installing these parts, or can any of you offer any hints or suggestions to an electrical noob that could save me some potential headache?

And I suppose as a last resort, are there any of you out there who have performed these installs successfully, that live in/around the Far western Chicago suburbs, in case I might need some additional help?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    ~Matt

Pretty straight forward installs on both the Dyna and the coils...FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY...thats one piece of advice. The second would be INSTALL ONE THING AT A TIME and make sure it works properly before moving on to the next. Trouble shooting three or more new parts if something is amiss is a PITA...

On the relay mod, there are various threads on different ways of going about it. One thing I WOULD suggest, no matter how you hook it up, is make it EASILY reverseable. By that I mean, one wire pulled and connected to the stock set up makes it back to stock. Or an A/B switch or something like that. Why? Cause if the battery gets so low it cant open the relay, you cant bump start the bike in a pinch... Just my .02

Comment

Step by step Dyna and Coil Relay Mod. What Josh is talking about will the battery would be extremely low, but not likely to happen with a 12V automotive relay which triggers at 6ish Volts.

The Dyna S instruction are crap; dont follow them. They suggested hacking the harness to wire the coils and powering from the tail light .

Here is a step by step for later model but yours is likley pretty close.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        Step by step Dyna and Coil Relay Mod. What Josh is talking about will the battery would be extremely low, but not likely to happen with a 12V automotive relay which triggers at 6ish Volts.

The Dyna S instruction are crap; dont follow them. They suggested hacking the harness to wire the coils and powering from the tail light .

Here is a step by step for later model but yours is likley pretty close.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=141055
        Two things:

1) Do the older points-ignition bikes have an igniter, and if not, what do I change about my particular install vs. the .pdf instructions?

2) If I wire my stator directly to the R/R (as suggested in the .pdf), do I need to pick up a beefier R/R or maybe one of the modified Honda R/R's available that duaneage sells?

I've been planning on upgrading at some point to the high-output stator and corresponding R/R, would picking up the R/R now be a good idea?

Comment

Whoops Sorry my bad. I'm looking at a 77 GS750B and it has points so it ill be a little different.

The Dyna still replaces the points.

With the igniter mounted on the battery box, it was a convenient shock isolated spot to put it. I guess you want to figure out the best place for the relay so it is isolated from the frame.

It is generally recommended to get rid of the of the left hand switch loop for the stator, of course I normally always run with headlamps on. The power output will be related to your stator so, I would not worry about putting in a new R/R immediately unless you plan to do the Honda.
          By removing the loop again you free up two wires. Then to follow the pdf:

1.) You can then use Green/white to switch your relay (same way as pdf)
          2.) Use the Red/White (from the R/R connector) to power the coils by attaching R/W in the headlamp bucket to the Orange/white after the cut. (In the pdf this is provided by the wire that powered the ignitor which you don't have)

You can still power your relay the same way from Aux in the fuse box I assume , then just find a ground; the battery will do or any frame ground.

So in reality not much different, you just don't have a 4 way plug where would have been located.

If you get the Honda R/R, use the Coil Relay output as your sense point; that is closest to the battery,

Pos

Comment

Working...
          X