750 Carbs on a 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750 Carbs on a 550

OK, I'm about ready to take a hostage here...

Bought a great set of 750 carbs and rubber intakes to mount to a 550. However, they can't be mounted because the intakes are too short and the throttle cable mount smacks into the head. Sweet! Can't use the stock 550 mounting plate because the spacing is all off and the small curved intakes don't fit the new carbs. So much for the simple upgrade...

What's the deal? I bet countless people have overcarbed a 550, so PLEASE let me know the magic secret!!!! Radiator hose intakes? I can't believe there isn't a better way.

I have a stock airbox to trade for any advice...

Thanks!

- J

Comment

Noooooo!!

OK Mister Smarty Pants, if I use the infamous Hose, how do you suggest connecting to the head itself? Mount the 750 intakes and use a short section of hose between the intake and the carb??

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

You must have bolt on manifolds. Give these folks a try, http://www.carbparts.com/. I've gotten manifolds from them before and they were slightly longer than stock.

Comment

Originally posted by caferacer
          Noooooo!!

OK Mister Smarty Pants, if I use the infamous Hose, how do you suggest connecting to the head itself? Mount the 750 intakes and use a short section of hose between the intake and the carb??

Thanks for the advice!
          Yes.... :roll:

Comment

i coulda swore i posted here but i guess i didn't. why not just rejet the 550 carbs instead of playing GUESS? with the 750 carbs.

i have a 550 that i'm rejetting right now to compensate for the 4-1 exhaust and pod filters. the process would be a lot easier then trying to get new carb boots and fit bigger carbs into the frame.

just my $.02

~Adam

Comment

Working...
            X