Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no start 78 gs750

So still no start after the rain.
    No spark. The points are gapped and timed right, the plugs are good.
    Have three volts going to the coils when the points are open, and 10.8 when they close (battery is low right now after so much cranking 11.5V)
    Resistance across condensors is 14.5 and 14.9.
    Have plenty of fuel and air. Dont know how to check the coils or condensors.
    anything else I might have missed or can do?

10.8v at the coils is not good for a start.. 11.5v at the battery is even worse. Charge it. Or better yet, replace it. You get spark on all the plugs when you check em?

Comment

while cranking, check how much voltage you have at the coils. It will drop. Try kick starting it. You will have much more voltage to the coils. If you have no spark while kick starting, theres a problem somewhere else.

Comment

Ill try the kick start thing.
        The battery is brand new, but has gone down a bit from all the cranking. IM scared to charge cuz all I have is a full blown industrial battery charger, no 2 amp option.
        There is no spark at the plugs.
        Maybe try hooking up a car battery to start the bike?

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NEVER use a car battery unless you are stuck somewhere and its an ONLY option...AND only then if you jump from a car make sure its NOT RUNNING!!

Comment

why not a car battery? and if not that, what should I do for the low voltage problem without buying something. Were fixin on a budget here.

Comment

A car battery is too much amps for starters. I suggest getting a NEW motorcycle battery. Believe me I understand fixing on a budget, but there are some things you simply cant cut corners with. And, motorcycles are an EXPENSIVE habbit..er...hobby..

Comment

You can jump start with a car battery. As Josh said don't do it when it's running. It will fry your charging system.
                Get the right charger. They are cheap at Harbor Freight.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Bike runs, battery is just too low to start.
                  Hooked up a car battery and it starts and runs great for a bike that needs to be tuned.

Comment

Working...
                  X