Need help with charging system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with charging system

1983 GS650g My battery goes dead after about a week of driving around. I put a multimeter on it today and it shows 12.5. Shows the same when I rev it. What do I check next and what is what as far as generator, regulator, and stator? I know what the starter solenoid is. Whats the other 2 sort of rectangle boxes, one has link heat sinks off it and the other is just flat. Thanks in advance

Follow the yellow brick road

Yellow .................Brick ............Road

Comment

If you need some good pictures to ID components on your bike spend some time at Cliffs web site.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Cool, thanks guys. Got some reading to do. Stators going bad is pretty normal huh?

Comment

Stators go bad, when the connections are not good and they overheat and the insulations break down.

It is not a bad idea to swap one out on a 25 year old bike as it is probably due (old ones look cooked), having said that the connections must be maintained or swapping a stator will be an annual event.

Pos

Comment

Hi Mr. 23flinchin,

At this point it would be a good idea to clean all of your electrical connections and grounds. Then start with a good battery and go through the Stator Papers. Your choices for a new stator are OEM (pricey!), Rick's (about half of OEM price), RMStator and Electrosport (about $40 cheaper than Rick's, depending on model). You might want to check with Mr. duaneage to see if he has a refurbished Honda r/r to go along with your new stator. He tests them and modifies the wiring so they are bolt-on replacements. The Honda units are more robust than the stock Suzuki units.

Mr. posplayr has just about written a thesis on how dirty connections fry the electrics on these bikes. Be sure to clean the fuse box and the ignition switch too. There's a bunch of stuff collected on my website. Help yourself. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Finally a problem that turned out to be easy. The ground wire from the R/R wasnt connected. The tab had broken off.
              Also, I think it may already have the Honda R/R on it, how can u tell?

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Also, I think it may already have the Honda R/R on it, how can u tell?
                6 wires
                • 3 from stator
                • 1 ground
                • 1 + to battery
                • 1 sense wire (usually hooked to a tail light switch)
                What is your battery voltage at idle and at 5K RPM?

Comment

Hmm. mine has 3 to stator, 1 ground and 1 hot. Looks different though, much bigger.

Its about 13.6 at idle and Im not currently running a tach but it goes up into the mid 14's at what sounds to be close to 5g.

I have a small studder, doesnt come in any kind of rhythm but my plugs all look OK. I was hoping it was just weak spark caused by this but its still there. Only happens at about cruising RPM, cant tell anything when Im giving it more gas or at idle. Any leads on this or should I start a new thread?

Comment

Seems like your charging system is working perfect.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by 24flinchin View Post
                      I have a small studder, doesnt come in any kind of rhythm but my plugs all look OK. I was hoping it was just weak spark caused by this but its still there. Only happens at about cruising RPM, cant tell anything when Im giving it more gas or at idle. Any leads on this or should I start a new thread?
                      You can start a new thread but Im guessing youll get the cookie cutter response. Clean the carbs, Check the Petcock, Seal the airbox. All this can be found at Cliffs site. Good Luck.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by 24flinchin View Post
                        Hi Mr. 24flinchin,

Some r/r units off of later model bikes have only 5 wires.

As for your stutter, if it's minor, you can try a few treatments of Sea Foam and see if it cleans your carbs enough to smooth out your ride. I use it a few times a year just for maintenance.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                        X