APE pods intake size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APE pods intake size

I'm going the pod route with my rebuild and would like to go with the APE brand. They are quality pods, inexpensive, and I'll likely not have to rebuy when I do come across a nice set of carb upgrades. I'm currently working with the stock VM26s. The challenge is that the APE pods are designed for a larger diameter air intake, about 10mm difference I think. The 26s are 43mm at the intake and the APE brand is 54mm or thereabouts.

Here's my question. Can anyone see a problem with using the larger pods and installing them on a bushing? I'm thinking of winding electrical tape around the intake to make up for the difference. Is that wrong?

That's a lot of black tape... you will need to buildup the wall about .250" all around to make up the 10mm difference.

Perhaps securing a .250" thick strip of rubber around the intake would be better & more secure tahn layer of "slick" black tape. As long as the pods don't vibrate off I would think they would work fine...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Go to the Ape site and look go to the Kawi section, then go to the carbs. They show the Ape pods for the Z1 and KZ900. Those will fit right on.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Here's what you want:

PART # 005-122 (42MM)

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Get the right fitting ones. The tape idea will be a PITA and basically just won't work.

What do you mean by carb upgrades? What's wrong with the 26's? They're great carbs.

Comment

Similar but unrelated question if somebody could answer.
            Does anyone know the actual dimensions of the APE 42MM pods? I ask because I am contemplating those for my gs550 which has a flange diameter of 39mm.

If they really are rebranded K&N pods then they should be similar to the 44mm K&N RC-2454. When compared to the recomended gs550 pods RC-2314 the sizing is favorable for use on the gs550 except for the flange diameter.

Dimensions 40mm, 44mm
            Width 3in, 2.875in
            Height 3in, 2.75in

So with the exception of the flange diameter the oval tapered K&Ns should fit the gs550? Would the APE 42mm be similar to these K&N in outside dimensions?? Would 3mm of black tape be such a bad thing if it saved me over $50?

Comment

The tape won't last and you'll leave your pods on the highway. False economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                The tape won't last and you'll leave your pods on the highway. False economy.
                I appreciate the response but I respectfully disagree. Fitting 42mm pods in place of 40mm pods resulting in $70 savings seems very reasonable.

I hope somebody has the dimensions though.

Comment

Your money.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                    Your money.
                    I am thinking some foil backed HVAC tape might hold up well. This application isn't too dissimilar to its intended purpose of sealing low pressure heating and cooling systems.

Anyways, I wrote an email to APE for dimensions. Lets see if they respond.

Comment

Those pods listed under the Kawi location are 42-43mm and are designed to fit the VM26, VM28, and VM29. I suppose you COULD come up with some kind of gasket, but personally speaking, I would opt for the ones that are made for your carbs. I like mine clamped up TIGHT! But maybe some closed-cell weather strip would work....
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am going with the correct fitting APE's, which I didn't know existed. In fact, I called the APE technical line and spoke with a guy and he informed me they only made the one size. He did, however, take the time to measure the inside diameter to the 3rd decimal for me. How funny.

Comment

Ordered. Thanks Renobruce for the link!

Comment

The total length (42mm connection to the chrome cap) is 3.5 inches.
                            The largest outside diameter of the filter (round) is 2.75 inches and tapers to 2 inches at the chrome cap (opposite the 42mm opening).
                            I think that answers your question. If not please just let me know.
                            I will take a tape measure and double check clearances either tonight or tomorrow but it sure looks like it will fit if I can make the 42mm opening grip the 39mm flange.

Comment

Pods......

I, VE GOT A 1980 GS1000E.... CHAIN DRIVE ..ANYWAY I HAT THE STD.. AIRBOX.... AND TO REMOVE CARBS WHICH ARE CV CARBS IS A NIGHT MARE,,,, I RUN A COPY OF K&N FILTERS ON MY XS650..WITH GREAT SUCCESS ....AND MAKES EVERYTHING EASY TO GET TOOOOOOO... AS WELL... MIKESXS HAS NOW GOT K&N MAKING HIS FILTERS ALL DIFFERENT SIZES... SOOOOO ,,I BOUGHT A SET OF 4 PODS .. TO SUIT WHICH WERE 52-54 MM FOR 16 DOLLARS EACH .... FAR CHEAPER THAN K&N HOPE THIS INFO HELPS REGARDS FROM DAVID FROM KANIVA AUSTRALIA

Comment

Working...
                              X