Kickstand kill switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kickstand kill switch

After really banging up the GS850 and fracturing my wrist, thumb, index finger, and foot, I'm wondering if there would be a way to retrofit the bike with a kicksstand kill switch like on the newer bikes? Has anyone done this?

Originally posted by Nathan Daube View Post
    After really banging up the GS850 and fracturing my wrist, thumb, index finger, and foot, I'm wondering if there would be a way to retrofit the bike with a kicksstand kill switch like on the newer bikes? Has anyone done this?
    should be quite easy to rig up a switch from a similar model that has one fitted as standard. would be fairly simple to make your own with a proximity switch wired into the kill switch circuit
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The GS1150 has a kickstand switch, but it's not tied to the kill switch...only an idiot light. But it would be fairly easy to install one and tie it into the kill switch.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Looking at my 1100 schematic, it is a "side stand check light". So it only adds a warning light to the dash. The switch is a low side switch that grounds one side of the circuit to the dash light.

Sounds like you want to do a kill switch?

If you have a coil mode relay then use it to control the relay coil without adding another series resistance to your ignition.

Your going to have to finds something that opens when the side stand is down, and put that in series with the solenoid energizer coil.

That means your bike will not run on the size stand if that is what you want.

edit: if you install the switch back wards so it extends when the kick stand is up that would work. You will also need the holder tab welded to the frame or figure something else out. Wire and a roller? Or find a prox switch?

EDIT/EDIT: The solution is to just configure the switch as a standard side stand switch and then use a second relay that is NC to ground the primary coil mode relay. Then when the side stand goes down and the relay is energized it will open shutting off the ignition. This reverses the polarity of theh switch needed so you dont have to do it mechanically.

A schematic later ; gotta run to work.
        Last edited by posplayr; 06-08-2009, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Could you also tie it into the neutral light so that it would be able to run in neutral but die if the sidestand is down when you go out of neutral ?

Comment

Take the sidestand off and just use the centrestand - problem solved.

Either that or don't worry about it. You're unikely to make the same painful mistake again.

Just my 2c (and just kiddin' around)

Comment

wire in a kickstand switch to your horn, so when you turn the ignition on the horn will annoy you and everyone near you until you flip it up
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Kick Stand Safety Interlock

The attached lights a light and inhibits the ignition when the kick stand is down. Assumes that the OEM switch off a GS1100 is installed.

The basic approach is to control function to the the coil relay mod. The additional relay could be a lower current rating from the primary.

Pos

Comment

No way to manage attachments; maybe this is clearer

Comment

I don't think I will .. but I could surprise myself

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                    Take the sidestand off and just use the centrestand - problem solved.

Either that or don't worry about it. You're unikely to make the same painful mistake again.

Just my 2c (and just kiddin' around)

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
                      I don't think I will .. but I could surprise myself
                      I've never made this one thankfully. Not that I haven't made LOTS of silly mistakes (that's life), just not the sidestand one thankfully.

Oh, and if you keep making the same silly mistake over and over again you may be in the running for a Darwin Award before too long.

Comment

I have done this to my GS1000e. Here is how I wired it. Best thing I ever did to my bike after two costly mishaps. Dan

Comment

This thread will get confusing unless we clairify what behaviour is desired.

I assume this:

When kickstand down, Bike should ONLY start when in neutral.
                          When NOT IN NEUTRAL, Bike should not start unless clutch is pulled.
                          So Dan I'm not sure how to interpret the schematic as I dont know what the kill switch is?

What polarity does your kick stand switch have. The later GS1100E are closed when down as that is when the warning light comes on.

Is the kill switch another relay, or is it a switch in series with the ignition when the clutch is pulled?

I might have to rethink mine.

Pos

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
                          I have done this to my GS1000e. Here is how I wired it. Best thing I ever did to my bike after two costly mishaps. Dan

Comment

I have not taken the time to scrutinzed the shcematics above, but in my thinking, it would be nice to inhibit the starter, but not the coil power when the stand is down and bike is not in neutral. That way, you can start it on the side stand as long as it's in neutral, and you can have it start warming up while you put on your helmet and gloves before getting on the bike.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wow thanks for the info.

I finally got up the courage to limp down the basment steps and go into the garage to see how bad the bike is after.... Well as I remember seein it bounce at least once and slid several feet, I am in worse shap than the gs. Tach is crushed, headlight trim ring is bent and the central gague unit (oil,hi beam,turn,fuel) is distorted and has bits of gravel in it. Im thinking the mounting bracket holding the gagues is bent, and the are riding higher than before the accident.

Comment

Working...
                              X