Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it bad to run a pull-only throttle cable on push/pull equipped carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it bad to run a pull-only throttle cable on push/pull equipped carbs?

I'm thinking of changing my bars to some higher ones and wondering if the push/pull is really necessary... I'm pretty sure there is a spring in the throttle linkage assembly, and likely in the throttle grip too, so would it be bad to use a single cable setup on my GS400?

No spring in the throttle assembly but there is one on the carbs. The big decision you have to make is.... if the spring breaks how quick will you be with the clutch & kill switch as you will not be able to close the throttle.

Quite a few seem to have done it no problems. I have 2 on mine though.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Ditto what Dan says.

I've never had a set of carbs running a single cable jam open - I currently run twin cables on my 1100 and 1000 and single cables on everything else (only because I'm too lazy to knock up or too mean to buy the second cable.....)
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I run single a cable on most of my bikes after fitting a small spring to positively close the throttle i've had no problems at all

Most un modified carbs wont jam fully open anyway they are just slower to close the butterflies without the second cable eg the revs wont drop quite as quickly, fitting a small spring between the thottle pull & the carb body easilly overcomes this tendancy

Comment

Cool. Do you have a picture of this spring in place?

Comment

On my 781000E there is a pretty big spring as stock, not sure why you would want another one...
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              On my 781000E there is a pretty big spring as stock, not sure why you would want another one...
              I'm looking at what i believe are a set of E carbs right now & dont see a spring on there as stock

Comment

63 ..SPRING, THROTTLE RETURN
                13573-45010 (replaces 13573-49000) 1 $8.86

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

That spring has a fair old tug on it as well - hold the throttle arm open for a short while with your finger and it's not long before it begins to hurt too much and leave a dent!
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Hmm i'm looking at a set of cv's but never mind as its cv's that are fitted to a 77 gs400 so my original post stands

Imo confusing the issue with comments about an unrelated set of carbs was a little unhelpfull salty monk but never mind i'm sure you will be forgiven ..............

eventually

Comment

you need to run 2 cables on your slide carbs (VM or smoothbore) the slide can lock in place because of it's design, either from crud, friction from slide being sucked to the wall of the carb by engine vacuum or by ice forming. The second cable is for you to manually close the slide if you need to. The spring just provides convenience so you don't have to turn back the throttle manually all the time. I'll give anyone five bucks who can pull the clutch in and hit the kill switch while being fully leaned over in a turn or going into a turn hot and not crash.

the CV style carbs don't have 2 cables since the design doesn't allow the butterfly valve to bind and pin the throttle open.
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                        I'm looking at what i believe are a set of E carbs right now & dont see a spring on there as stock
                        Following my Post that states clearly 78 GS1000E I assumed you were also looking at the 4 cylinder rack.... sorry... lack of info led to misunderstanding.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                          you need to run 2 cables on your slide carbs (VM or smoothbore) the slide can lock in place because of it's design, either from crud, friction from slide being sucked to the wall of the carb by engine vacuum or by ice forming. The second cable is for you to manually close the slide if you need to. The spring just provides convenience so you don't have to turn back the throttle manually all the time. I'll give anyone five bucks who can pull the clutch in and hit the kill switch while being fully leaned over in a turn or going into a turn hot and not crash.

the CV style carbs don't have 2 cables since the design doesn't allow the butterfly valve to bind and pin the throttle open.
                          not true, i have run my bike with only one cable now for months on my gs1?e. the spring will shut the carbs down as long as it is in good nick. you wont get any sticky friction in the slide bores as they are made from a teflon (sort of ) coated material.
                          the spring will bring it down, no problems
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post

My 1100F has CV carbs and comes as standard with 2 cables.

Plus my PC50, A65 and TS100 all have slide carbs and come as standard with only 1 cable.
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Working...
                            X