Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shims

where is the best place to order shims?

www.z1enterprises.com is one of the cheapest. Ghost on here does an exchange "shim club" too...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

thanks fgor the info. i searched and found the shim exchange

Comment

I don't know what the financial terms are in the 'shim club', but I prefer to spend a few bucks and add to the shims in my inventory.

I have three 850s to maintain, TheCafeKid has a couple of 8-valve bikes, N1ElkyFan has one, Dogma has one, and there are a couple others in the area that have access to the inventory. I guess we sorta have our own shim club going, but it's nice to have them right at hand without waiting for any to show up in the mail.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, by keeping track of shim sizes and clearance values with your handy-dandy spreadsheet, I can "guesstimate" what shims I will need for future valve clearance checks and order them ahead of time. That's a very handy tool you've given to the community. Thanks.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

i need a copy of that spreadsheet. even tho i only have 4 shims in my bike it might help. please send me the info.
            i'm hopeing that doing the valves will fix the left cylinder not firing. and maybe it will have some compression then.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2009, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Oh, did you run a compression test and find it to be low?

Comment

Originally posted by dickidav View Post
                i need a copy of that spreadsheet. even tho i only have 4 shims in my bike it might help.
                If you have shims and can follow simple instructions, it will help.

How to get it? The instructions are on BassCliff's Mega-Welcome, but I will paraphrase here:
                Send me an e-mail saying that you want a copy.
                What's my e-mail address? Click on my name, you will see information that leads you to it.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                  Oh, did you run a compression test and find it to be low?
                  i haven't run a compression test with a meter yet it's in the mail. but.. i had it running and the left side it cold and you can almost hold your finger on the plug hole.

Comment

Working...
                  X