Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave_17954 View Post
    found this on ebay........
    CRANKSHAFT & RODS 76 SUZUKI GS400 CRANK GS 400 @JayJays (#370158211051). I'm not sure exactly what cycle you got.
    Thanks! However my engine is a 1980 GSX400 - basically everything except the head is a GS450. Including the crank apparently.

Comment

ok my bad.....this is the one from ebay

Comment

Originally posted by MrZig View Post
        Yea I don't understand why it's all censored here.
        Most likely because it's not needed?

One of the things that appeals to me about this board is the general civility and lack of trash.
        When that stuff is allowed, I'll be outta here.

By the way, you start talking like that in my garage, you will be asked to shut up or leave.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Most likely because it's not needed?

One of the things that appeals to me about this board is the general civility and lack of trash.
          When that stuff is allowed, I'll be outta here.

By the way, you start talking like that in my garage, you will be asked to shut up or leave.

This isn't really the place for a discussion on swearing, please take that elsewhere if you have a problem.

Comment

Tore it apart and found the bearing to be in less than optimal shape

Comment

(Few more photos on the previous page)

Comment

Comment

Comment

Everything other than the culprit looks 100% perfect, down to the clutch fibers and the crankshaft. The crankshaft journal has a little scoring that's noticable with my finger, and the con-rod as you can see is discolored. The bearing is right screwed and the piston ring broke when I set the piston down, probably from being banged around.

Is it worth rebuilding, do you think? Would it be ok to reuse the connecting rod even though it's slightly rainbow, or would that heat make it explode sometime in the future? I imagine I could machine the crankshaft and use oversized bearings on it if I had to.

Comment

Well...that rod got hot for sure. I'm not sure if it's useable or not. You might want to measure the big end for out of round, and measure the crank too. The crank journal can be polished to remove the roughness but if it's worn too much, it's junk.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by MrZig View Post
                        Everything other than the culprit looks 100% perfect, down to the clutch fibers and the crankshaft. The crankshaft journal has a little scoring that's noticable with my finger, and the con-rod as you can see is discolored. The bearing is right screwed and the piston ring broke when I set the piston down, probably from being banged around.

Is it worth rebuilding, do you think? Would it be ok to reuse the connecting rod even though it's slightly rainbow, or would that heat make it explode sometime in the future? I imagine I could machine the crankshaft and use oversized bearings on it if I had to.
                        No way do I reuse that rod.

Comment

Looks to me like it got detonation at one time, especially since you have clear and clean innards elsewhere. I don't see why you couldn't have the rods and crank professionally redone and press on with your rebuild?

Comment

Working...
                          X