what hole do i drill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what hole do i drill?

I got a stage 1 dyno jet kit and the picture is confusing. When it tells me to drill out the slide holes, is the hole on the carb body or on the slide it self. And on the directions it says holes not hole so it there more than one. Thx for the help

Never done the mod but it is on the slide that you drill

Comment

Look on the bottom of the slide.
      There is a hole in the center for the jet needle and another hole off to one side.
      That is the hole that you drill.

Last edited by Steve; 06-08-2009, 07:48 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok so the one off to the side, would you recommend doing it for just a 4 into 1 v&h and k n air filter

Comment

Yes, if you're fitting the DJ kit you need to drill it. It's to do with needle taper (it affects the speed the slide lifts).

Yes it's the one off to the side. It says holes as there is 1 hole per slide (i.e. 4 total).

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            Yes, if you're fitting the DJ kit you need to drill it. It's to do with needle taper (it affects the speed the slide lifts).

Yes it's the one off to the side. It says holes as there is 1 hole per slide (i.e. 4 total).

Dan
            Will drilling out this hole help the slides lift faster on a stock bike without the DJ kit?
            Could use a little better throttle response.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I never knew if it was faster or slower... Just that it's a different rate. I guess I could probably test with the ones I have at home!
              It makes sense that it's faster but then again the DJ jets are seriously tapered in comparison to stock so maybe they want to slow it down or affect the rate that they slide back down of throttle or???

I had huge holes drilled in the slides on my 1000G when I got it with stock needles. I put them back to stock & to be honest didn't notice a whole lot of difference except in MPG.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

thx for the info dipping the carbs sucks

Comment

I guess that all depends on how freaky the girl is...

(sorry, couldnt resist)

Comment

Originally posted by gsx1100 View Post
                    thx for the info dipping the carbs sucks
                    You think dipping the carbs sucks?

How about the guys that "clean their carbs" by dropping the float bowls and spraying some cleaner in there?
                    They do it several times and complain that the bike still doesn't run right.

Just bite the bullet, dip the carbs ONCE (but for a full day, each), put them back together with new o-rings, adjust them properly and be done with it. Yeah it takes the better part of a week, but you only have to do it once. As long as you ride it often enough to freshen the gas (or store it properly with a stabilizer), you shouldn't have to "clean the carbs" for several years.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Drill the hole towards the diaphragm. Angle the drill bit slightly towards the center. I mean slightly. DO NOT drill straight down. The bit should go in very easily following the existing port. DO NOT force it.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        I guess that all depends on how freaky the girl is...

(sorry, couldnt resist)
                        No response outa that one huh?? Sheesh.. You guys are more desensitized than I thought

Comment

No response outa that one huh?? Sheesh.. You guys are more desensitized than I thought
                          Nobody got it.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

What did you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                              What did you mean?
                              What I tell ya.

I wonder if the guy got the slide drilled correctly

Comment

Working...
                              X