No announcement yet.

81 GS650G idles fast after warming up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok well what i have found is that I ran it at idle without moving it for the last 10-15 minutes. It started to speed up on the idle a little bit (around 2k) so I decided to adjust the screw, at first too low which bogged it down at around 800-850 rpms of course, then I got it adjusted to where when it adjusts back to idle its just above 1000. I also found one of the boots going towards the back of the carbs had a bent hoseclamp which made it possible with just a little effort to pull the boot backwards. I straightened the clamp and tightened it down tighter and now it wont pull off at all. do you think that was enough to create an air leak and make the engine run hotter? (which after talking to you guys i realized it was running pretty hot, i just dont have a normal amount of heat to compair it to.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2009, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BenelliSigma View Post
      ok well what i have found is that I ran it at idle without moving it for the last 10-15 minutes.
      That will get any air cooled bike hot, there is no fan like a Volkswagen or a lawn mower.
      Don't do that, it's expensive to burn up an engine.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

well ill know when i ride tomorrow if it really did the trick or if i need to look deeper into air leaks or carbs or intake rings.

Comment

O-rings

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Pretty sure I changed out those o-rings on this bike a few months ago...
          Tom's right...he spent the better part of a day beating those stuck screws into submission. Then we replaced all the intake boot orings.

The carbs have been dipped, cleaned, all new o-rings from cycleorings.com and the intake boots were tight. I'd take a look at the throttle cable. It might have been pulled up in transport and it's not seated properly.

Comment

ok gotcha. i was wondering if it wasnt in the throttle or the choke somewhere too. Ill check it out, thanks larry. i figure its gotta be something pretty simple cause it didnt happen last night when i got the bike warmed up without moving the bike.

Comment

Working...
            X