gs1100g 83 charging problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100g 83 charging problem

--hello-thought I had charging issue solved --but with old rectifier I am getting 13.5v at idle but 15-16 at 4000rpm---over .2v when connecting to red-red on rectifier and multimeter neg to red on battery. Indicates problem with red power lead to battery? bob

I'd like to help, but I'm terrible with electrical stuff. Have you been through the Stator Papers ?

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

bwarnock

What are your voltages?

You notes the R/R (+) to Battery (+) was over 0.2v; what is it at 5000 RPM?

What about the R/R (-) to Battery (-) at 5000 RPM?

The good news is the stator appears fine. I have been looking for some one to do these measurements with an over charging system. Please measure the leads before disturbing anything .

Do you still have the OEM R/R?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by bwarnock View Post
        with old rectifier I am getting 13.5v at idle but 15-16 at 4000rpm---over .2v when connecting to red-red on rectifier and multimeter neg to red on battery. Indicates problem with red power lead to battery? bob
        Bob,

R U using the stock RR ? Connectors clean ? RR ground wire connected direct to the - batt post ? Does your RR have a sense wire ?

Lots of questions and like Larry said most of the answers are in the Stator Papers.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I'm trying to get him to measure the voltages in Steps 2 and 3 of Part A (positive lead and the negative lead voltages) before he disturbs it. I'm trying to figure out what the failure mechanism is for overcharging. I'm sure it is connections , but what state the R/R is in would be very helpful.

Comment

Jim,

Ive got my old RR which was overcharging. Your welcome to it. Im sure it was due to a corroded connector. It was melted. I installed Duanes kit with new terminals and grounded it to the - batt term with a new battery. It was still over 15 vdc. I did a relay mod for the sense wire and it has now settled down to 14.5 vdc
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Dave,
              I have described here before taking an overcharging condition and by simply cleaning connections made it all good. That is the mystery as I don't know what "theoretically" would have caused it. All bad connections should cause undercharging unless there is something else going on .

After the clean up my GS750 is running fine still today with the same stock R/R.
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                Dave,
                by simply cleaning connections made it all good.
                I actually did that by replacing the melted connector and adding the ground jumper. It worked for a while but the damage was done. The RR finally STB. (Sh!t the bed) Im just glad it didnt take the stator with it.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Working...
                X