Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical system - what have been done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical system - what have been done?

I have been going through my GS1100G and as I have mentioned before - PO have been cutting and rewiring something.

Do anyone have a clue about what have been done?
    http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=DSCF1441.jpg

I have also gotten new Bridgestone BF45's on the wheels, changed the wheel bearings, changed brakepads and ignitionlock, sanded off some corrosion and repainted.

Another evening or two and I have mounted new rear blinkers and changed the grounding wire from battery to frame.
    Measuring voltagedrop when starting 12.8V at battery, 8.5V at starter ... it's nice to have the faultfinding backed up by BassCliff's website!

Will it be a good thing to make another grounding wire directly from battery to starter?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2009, 07:18 AM.

It looks like the old regulator is still mounted under the battery box. the three (yellow, white/ red, white/blue) wires are from the old R/R. the three yellow wires that are now connected to the AFTERMARKET r/r are all yellow which tells me the stator has been replaced sometime in the past. hopefully the connections from the stator to the R/R have been made properly.

and it looks like your bike is a 1100gk?
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100G View Post
      I have been going through my GS1100G and as I have mentioned before - PO have been cutting and rewiring something.

Do anyone have a clue about what have been done?

( It's also my first attempt linking to an external website ... )

I have also gotten new Bridgestone BF45's on the wheels, changed the wheel bearings, changed brakepads and ignitionlock, sanded off some corrosion and repainted.

Another evening or two and I have mounted new rear blinkers and changed the grounding wire from battery to frame.
      Measuring voltagedrop when starting 12.8V at battery, 8.5V at starter ... it's nice to have the faultfinding backed up by BassCliff's website!

Will it be a good thing to make another grounding wire directly from battery to starter?
      This might help.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        It looks like the old regulator is still mounted under the battery box. the three (yellow, white/ red, white/blue) wires are from the old R/R. the three yellow wires that are now connected to the AFTERMARKET r/r are all yellow which tells me the stator has been replaced sometime in the past. hopefully the connections from the stator to the R/R have been made properly.

and it looks like your bike is a 1100gk?
        Thanks!
        No regulator under the battery box, and the layout is just as it should be if the bike were an GS1100GD model.
        It might have been mounted there previously.
        The connections to the stator and regulator are nicely soldered and shrinked.
        I was not sure what the three loose ends should do, so I crimped on some ends just to isolate them.

I also made another ground wire and connected it from the negative battery pole and directly to one of the rear bolts that hold the starter.
        It made an unbelivable difference! Now the bike starts at first try.

The volts when charging went up from 12.8v to 13.6v idle and from 13.2v to 14.5v at 4000RPM.

I have made a new ground wire that replaces the original but I belive there is a bad connection somewhere since the new one made such a difference.
        The hunt goes on!

Comment

Those three stripped wires are the ORIGINAL wires that the stator would have connected to...They've apparently been bypassed, but never removed from the loom..check for energy when the bike is on, but i bet they are dead...as they should be..

Comment

Working...
          X