Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to get ready for winter project (early bird gets the worm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to get ready for winter project (early bird gets the worm)

Well, Im going to try and get the plan of attack laid out for my winter project ( You can never start to early). My goal originally was to do a cafe style rig, but Ive just always been fond of the old BMW, and old Panhead style bikes. And I figure it would also be kinda different cruising around in a GS powered bike with a Post seat LOL.....

I guess My first plan of attack is to get the frame I would need. Im going to have to have it made, as Im an Ok welder ( trailers lawn tractors etc....) But I would rather have someone who really know the deal handle that aspect of it. Not sure if I trust my welds for something going over 50mph...........

So I guess my first question is are there pre-fabbed frames available for the GS750 engine? That would be rather nice.

Or Maybe I should stick with the cafe look, as its pretty well documented and I could keep my frame......Ugh, decisions decisions........I appreciate all opinions.....Thanks is advance...........Eric

#1 - no one makes a frame for the 750

#2 - All your examples are hard tails - easy enough to do that

#3-Cafe or superbike is much easier

Personally, I don't understand why someone wants to take a UJM and make it look like an old Harley - recently, someone even wanted to make it sound like a Harley and got upset about that.

IMHO, just start with something closer, like a 50-60's Brit bike or such. The snap of an I4 motor in a bobber just grates on me, kinda like in the movies.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I got gotcha, I have had a couple of old shovels and even a 57 panhead....I just like the aesthetics of the hard tail POGO seat look, just looking to do something a bit different.....Oh yeah as far as the sound LOL, an I4 will never sound like a Harley (nor would I even attempt it) And a Harley will never have the snappy sound of the I4(which I love).......

I might take on the Cafe project for the simplicity and straight forwardness of it...........Thanks for the opinion Big T
      Originally posted by Big T View Post
      #1 - no one makes a frame for the 750

#2 - All your examples are hard tails - easy enough to do that

#3-Cafe or superbike is much easier

Personally, I don't understand why someone wants to take a UJM and make it look like an old Harley - recently, someone even wanted to make it sound like a Harley and got upset about that.

IMHO, just start with something closer, like a 50-60's Brit bike or such. The snap of an I4 motor in a bobber just grates on me, kinda like in the movies.

Comment

I'm with you on the BMW idea. I've always been inspired by the look of early Beemers and wanted to do a similar 'Bobber' style japanese bike but with the modern rear end, not some WW2 inspired hardtail.

Comment

I found one that I wanted real bad I was outbid last minute it was a 56 R69(google that one)......I dont mind the hardtail rear end, it would be something to putt around in, not long rides......But to get that look it might be more work then I can handle...As much as I want too............
          Originally posted by Zooks View Post
          I'm with you on the BMW idea. I've always been inspired by the look of early Beemers and wanted to do a similar 'Bobber' style japanese bike but with the modern rear end, not some WW2 inspired hardtail.

Comment

Working...
          X