Speedometer/tach disassembly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer/tach disassembly?

I would like to disassemble the speedo and tach on my GS650GZ. Down to the internal working parts, not just the speedo unit out of it's mount.

Any ideas on what I need to cut to seperate this puppy? Same for the tach?

(End results: I want to clean out and fix a broken speedo, paint the face and replace glass on them. I'm a cheap bastage and refuse to buy replacements until I can declare these unsalvageable)

Title already states "Not original mileage" so I'm not worried about legal ramifications of opening the speedo.

I don't know that you can. I took an old one appart to answer that questioin for myself. The metal ring that holds the glass down didn't make it. Its just not made to be taken off and then put back on. also the rubber gasket for the glass didnt make it either. It was pretty much adhered to the glass, and didn't peel off nicely. Once you get inside, about the only advantage would be thining out the sapy lube so that the needle is more responsive. I would like to do mine, but I know that opening my speedo would be the end of my speedo.

Comment

If you search the forum, there are multiple posts for this issue in particular. A few guys actually did surgery and cut off the tops of the speedo and tach, worked on them, and re-epoxyed/superglued them back together. I was not that courageous as some people have totally screwed theirs up doing this as well.

I went for the simple route which a few others had success with. I took the assembly off and broke it down as far as it would go, got my WD-40 spray can with the long thin tube/snout and blasted as much as I could up through where the tach/speedo cable went in and a few other holes I saw. I shot it at different angles so it could get around as much as possible. I then moved the unit around in my hands holding it at different angles for periods of time to let it work its way in.

At first there was no difference and I was a little dissapointed but..... after a few rides I did notice the speedo and tach units performed a lot quicker. Not as fast as I would like but I could tell the difference. Now its a lot better. The more I ride, the quicker the needles get. Good luck! :mrgreen:

Comment

You'll never get it up to the part where the needle is that way. The needle is atatched to a dome like metal piece. That metal piece is in the way of you shooting any wd up to the needle or the pin that it turns on. Bellow that metal dome is the thing that spins around driven by the cable. It and the gears are about all you can reach with the wd.

Comment

Working...
        X