Hand impact driver or Dewalt Impact driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand impact driver or Dewalt Impact driver

I have some phillips screws that hold the countersprocket cover that are stuck tight. I managed to get one of them out, but there are 5-6 remaining. I have been told to buy a hand impact driver to get them out.

I already have a Dewalt rechargable impact driver. Will that work as good? I don't want to damage the screw heads further but thought that the Dewalt might work better than using a hammer with the manual driver.

Thanks.

The only thing with the DeWalt is that you won't get the benefit of the hammer hitting down and forcing the bit into the head.

Comment

Use the hand impact driver. They're completely different types of tools with unfortunately similar names.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Not all electric drivers are really impact drivers.

taken from wikipedia

These are not to be confused with the impact wrench, which is a motorized tool (usually powered by compressed air), with a similar name and function. These also use a hammering action to apply torque to fasteners. The difference is that impact wrenches do not provide the positive engagement that impact drivers offer as mentioned above. This is desirable though on hex head fasteners and others where the downward seating action is unnecessary and potentially damaging. To add to the confusion, they look identical to motorized impact drivers.

Buyers must also be aware that some tools improperly advertised as impact drivers are actually just impact wrenches. The only way to verify that a motorized impact driver is truly what it claims to be (without taking it apart) is to try it before purchasing.

Comment

Get a hand impact tool. Note that, in MY opinion, the fitment of the bits is every bit as important as the impact. My Craftsman hand impact tool has been my best tool purchase ever - though I've only had to hit it for three screws (bearing retainer bracket). Sure I could have gotten a cheaper one, but just those bits are worth the extra $$$. There were some screws I just KNEW I was going to have to cut slots into, but that impact driver loosened them - by hand, no hammer - without the slightest bit of slippage or damage.

Comment

Impact driver

I will pick up a craftsman hand driver tonight. If this can save me drilling out the screws it will be worth it's weight in silver.

Comment

I own the super cheap harborfreight one and it has worked exactly as expected. Bits have held up great so far, and if it breaks or falls apart then I won't be too upset b/c it only costs $5.

Comment

Technique is important, practice on something you don't care about if you haven't used one before.
                One method, tap, tap, tap gradually increasing twist and impact until it lets go...
                another way is to tap the bit alone into the screw very tightly and then put on the handle, twist it and give it a good whack.
                These both work on certain screws, but it takes a little experience and feel to know which to use.

There are other techniques too.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreef1999 View Post
                  I own the super cheap harborfreight one and it has worked exactly as expected. Bits have held up great so far, and if it breaks or falls apart then I won't be too upset b/c it only costs $5.
                  Bits definitely outlast the driver. I have three sets of bits and one driver that works sometimes....

I think next time I will go ahead and buy a higher quality one.

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
                    Bits definitely outlast the driver. I have three sets of bits and one driver that works sometimes....

I think next time I will go ahead and buy a higher quality one.
                    Good to know You still have budget for 2 more drivers before the cheap route loses to the sears route!
                    which HarborFreight impact have you been destroying?

Comment

Working...
                    X