1980 GS550e; Idle control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550e; Idle control?

Hey guys, my bike turns on... but I'm having problems with the idle. When I'm driving around, and put the clutch in... the engine speed drops until it turns off. Then I would have to turn it back on again... it's super annoying.
    Help?

Thanks in advance

What maintenance have you done ? Any carb rebuilds/cleaning or anything.....? We need a little history.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
      What maintenance have you done ? Any carb rebuilds/cleaning or anything.....? We need a little history.
      Carbs were cleaned last year. Oil change... (I'm a complete bike newb... just started to 'ride' this season.)

Isn't there a little knob or something that adjust the idle?

Comment

Yep.

It's large brass knob located under the carb rack and faces toward the back of the bike. Do not confuse this for the cam chain tensioner knob that come out of the back of the enigine.

Turn the large brass knob clockwise to increase idle which opens all of the throttle plates. Or, counterclockwise to decrease idle which closes the throttle plates. Remember this knob faces the rear of the bike.

This adjustment should be done when the bike is completely warmed up. And preferably while performing the Highest RPM method.

This all assumes that your carbs are actually clean with the correct jetting for your application and there are no air leaks.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Wow awesome Larry, Thanks!

I'm going to take a look for the knob tonight I guess... I just want the bike running and not shut off all the time~ doesn't have run perfectly for now. Thanks again!

oh btw, are there any photos of where the knob is??

Comment

Working...
          X