• Time
  • Show
Clear All

'77 gs550 no spark

Hey all just need a bit of advice.
    i was out riding last sunday when my gs went down on to
    2 cylinders then the other 2 cut out
    the bike had overcharged and blown out the coils i think because
    there was alot off black gungy stuff around small cracks in the coils and there was no spark. i have replaced and regapped the points and condensors,changed the regulator rectifier and put s/h coils on it but i still have no spark ive checked the kill switch and thats all ok
    im a bit confused so any help would be much appreciated

Check the spark plugs are good. Try new ones. Check spark from end of HT lead to cylinder head. Check connections to coil. Remove points cover. Turn ignition on and separate the points with screwdriver tip. There should be a small spark at the points. Check these and get back to us.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2009, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. lee-garner1988,

It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Here is your magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

CLIFF it took you 2 hours and 3 minutes. Shame on you. We have standards on this site to be adhered to YOU know that.

Comment

What's a s/h coil?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            What's a s/h coil?
            Hi Bill. I think it's second hand , as in used. They could be faulty as well.

Comment

Working...
            X