Exhaust fitment and interchangability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red,
    The 80-82 GS750E motors are different to the 83-86 GS700-750's. Those earlier engine are the ones with the similarity to GS1100E. What is interesting though is I always assumed the 83-86 GS700/750's would be similar to the 1150. As mentioned earlier, I converted an 1150 4:1 Yoshi to an GS1100ED by simply cutting down the length and moving the hanger.
    There are guys putting GSXR pipes as almost straight bolt on to the GS700/750ES and those should bolt to the GS1100E as well (I'm doing it now).
    To a certain extent it is about fit, but there seems to be a lot of variation in the port/tube size that is still workable.
    Pos

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Red,
      The 80-82 GS750E motors are different to the 83-86 GS700-750's. Those earlier engine are the ones with the similarity to GS1100E. What is interesting though is I always assumed the 83-86 GS700/750's would be similar to the 1150. As mentioned earlier, I converted an 1150 4:1 Yoshi to an GS1100ED by simply cutting down the length and moving the hanger.
      There are guys putting GSXR pipes as almost straight bolt on to the GS700/750ES and those should bolt to the GS1100E as well (I'm doing it now).
      To a certain extent it is about fit, but there seems to be a lot of variation in the port/tube size that is still workable.
      Pos
      I'm just giving you the measurments. it's up to you to decide if you want to try to make something work or not.

As for the GSXR to GS conversion, I've already done that. I believe it was a 95 GSXR1100 SS2R that I fit to an 80 GS1100. I needed to fab a new set of flanges (the4y weren't the same) and the aluminum adaptor that they use to fit into the exhaust port as the diameter and length was wrong. If you're interested I could take a picture of them after I get back from my son's wedding (leaving later today).

As for the 750 motors being different on different years (even the 4 valve) - I'm no GS expert and never claimed to be. I'm just trying to relay information that I have access to, the rest is guesswork as I stated I BELIEVE (in bold to make sure it wasn't taken as fact.)

If yours is a direct bolt on I'd be curious as to what year GSXR you're using.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
        If yours is a direct bolt on I'd be curious as to what year GSXR you're using.
        Red ,
        The specific years make a big diff, and so any fit statement must be qualified with the year, model and for exhaust even manufacturer of the pipe.

Nothing between GSXR and GS is a direct fit. The only years that are close are 1st Gen (85-87 GSXR 750, 86-88 GSXR 1100) and 2nd Gen GSXR (88-91 GSXR 750, 88-92 GSXR 1100). There are all know as "oil cooler" bikes. You apparently modified a 95 water cooler which has narrower port spacing than all the previous years. One note is that many of the later model Bandit motors are basically oil cooler bikes and the port spacing is also the same as the GS.

The flange modification required for the pipes to bolt up are as I showed.

Depending upon the specific bend of the manufacturer you could have frame clearance issues or clearance issues at the bottom of the engine (too little or too much).

I'm documenting the fitment of a Yoshi 4:2:1 SS pipe in my GSXR conversion thread. (see my sig)

Pos
        Last edited by posplayr; 06-11-2009, 10:16 AM.

Comment

The port spacing was correct. I probably have the GSXR year wrong as it's been a long time ago and I don't keep track of stuff like that. It wasn't a water cooled motor as the port spacing would be wrong. It was an SS2R pipe.

All I know now is that the pipe mounting and port diameter needed to be moded. I have the old and new adapters off the bike as I'm reworking this machine. I can post pics later.

The measurements I took are what they are. The years of the bikes were posted with them.

Comment

I've had some more time to think about this and it's not worth my time to be involved in a thread where, when I post information, it's disputed time and again. I'm relaying my experiences and giving measured quantities and specific bikes that correlate to that data. When unsure, I try to post it.

I've got better things to do, so this thread is no long something that interests me.

Comment

Wow and I mean wow. Too bad. Something really good seemed to be in the works. Well I guess thats what happens.

Comment

Red,

I think most of the things that you think said are "being disputed" are the things that you said "you think". Virtually everythng I quoted (other than 80GS1000's pipe) are based on my actual measurements from which I have at my disposal:
                • digital calipers
                • red 1983 GS1100ED Full bike (Race Yoshi 4:1)
                • blue 1983 GS1100ED Full bike (V&H 4:1 megaphone) in case the color makes a diff)
                • black 1986 GSXR1100 Full bike (Mussy SS 4:1 pipes)
                • blue 1981 GS750E Full Bike (OEM pipes 4:2)
                • 1980 GS750E bare motor on the floor
                • Spare GS1100ED head
                in addition:
                • 2nd complete set of Yoshi Race pipes off a 81 GS1100EX
                • 3rd complete set of Yoshi Street pipes off a 85 GS1150 (modifed for the GS1100)
                • 4th complete set of Yoshi SS pipes for a 2nd Generation 88-92 GSXR 1100
                • 5th complete set of V&H megaphone pipe listed to fit 1980-1983 GS1100E and 80-81 G750E
                • Black complete set of OEM GS1100ED 4:2 pipes
                Pos

Comment

HI all, had to join after reading this thread. Good info! Don't stop, your advice is valued reddirtrider, we just need to come to some consensus.

I have one of these:

and am having great time finding parts for it. So I need to cross over an exhaust from a different model to find something that works.

I see others have done it, but since its german, I can't ask them what they did:

So... the information in the thread is invaluable to me, as I am sure to others, its good to know what crosses over and what doesn't. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks all,

Steve
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2009, 09:49 AM.

Comment

All this being said...what is the best pipe to bolt to MY bike?!? Looking at a deal in the works to get my V&H Sidewinder off and put a V&H 4to1 on. Saw a OEM Busa online like 08. I know, just a pipe dream. ( I just love puns!)

Comment

Working...
                    X