Just how loose can the valves be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just how loose can the valves be?

So I got some shims in the mail, and it appears what I've recorded for the valve adjustment doesn't match what I need. So, I've bought two 2.55 shims, among the others that I bought, and I need two 2.60s. With the 2.55 in the intake shim buckets, the clearance comes out to .102 mm. is that fine? or much too loose? I remember some members, like Steve like to run a little loose, like .09 mm. Will I be fine with this clearance? Otherwise, time to send a pm to the valve shim club, along with my old shims.

If you had a selection of shims available, I would put in a couple of 2.55x shims, but what you have won't hurt anything.

Considering your location, I would leave them in and ride, instead of waiting for new shims.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      If you had a selection of shims available, I would put in a couple of 2.55x shims, but what you have won't hurt anything.

Considering your location, I would leave them in and ride, instead of waiting for new shims.

Thanks steve. I don't mind ordering new shims, but as I'm sure you'd understand, I want to ride! If I can ride this in the mean time, then I'm happy.

Comment

Little known fact is that the thickness of the bucket varies from one to the next - more than .001" on some. When setting the valves on my recent 1000 engine rebuild I measured and swaped around the buckets (I have three engines worth) until I was able run the same size shims on all the intake valves and the same on the exhaust (two sizes for the entire engine...for now). Something to consider if you have a couple of valves that are on the tight side and you don't mind pulling the cams.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Mr. Nessism, you are just so very resourceful. One of these days I'd love to visit your garage and let you help me tweak my bike.

Mr. Rein,

I have run valves at 0.10mm with no issues. I'd rather run them at 0.10mm than .04mm. That way I'm pretty assured that I won't have to change that shim for a while, and I can go a little longer between valve checks without hurting anything. No, I'm not lazy, it's just good time management.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            No, I'm not lazy, it's just good time management.
            "Good time management" is just productive laziness, in disguise.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I managed to swap a few shims out, and get the intake valve to a very comfortable .07 clearance, and only reducing an exhaust valve's clearance to .06 mm

Bike starts within a second of cranking! This is definitely a much needed maintenance task!

Comment

Now that your valves are adjusted, you can turn your attention to fine-tuning the carbs.

When they are done, it will almost seem that you don't actually have to push the button to start the bike.
                Just think about it, and the bike will be running.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Now that your valves are adjusted, you can turn your attention to fine-tuning the carbs.

When they are done, it will almost seem that you don't actually have to push the button to start the bike.
                  Just think about it, and the bike will be running.

isnt it great! BTW Rein...if you DO need those 2.60s, In Steve's and my collection we have a large surpluss of 2.60 but just ONE 2.55 (i had to use a couple on my recent adjustment on the new GS1000G) so if you would like to trade, let me know!

Comment

Working...
                  X