1982 gs1100 gl vs. 1982 gs1100 l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs1100 gl vs. 1982 gs1100 l

Is there any mechanical differences with the 1982 GS1100 GL and 1982 GS1100 L?

Somehow you've gotten your models mixed up. The "L" and the "GL" are one and the same. Maybe you mean the "G" vs. the "GL." The "G" has a more upright riding position with a mostly flat seat and the "GL" has buckhorn bars, a slightly laid back position, and a stepped seat. The "G" has "GS 1100 G" on the side covers, while the "GL" has "GS 1100 L." Basically the G implies it's a shaftie and the added L means it's a laid back shaftie.

G: ............................................... GL: (Pics are from http://www.suzukicycles.org/All-Suzu...ki_models.html)

From what I understand, the main differences are the bars, seat, frame, and forks. They are essentially the same bike. I believe the motor, tranny, shaft, etc. are swappable.

Comment

Strictly speaking, according to the letters you gave, the GL will have shaft drive, the L will have chain drive.

However ... I don't think they made a chain-drive 1100L except for Chef's favorite year, 1980.

Although the side covers on the bike don't show the "G", it is actually a "GL".

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

pt 2.

the GS1100L in question has "L" on the side cover and it is shaft driven. I included a picture.i brought it as a parts bike for my GS1100GL, but its too nice to chop up.i enclosed a picture.i will get a title and ride it, while a do a first time resto on my GL. A plan to use this bike as a model to refer to for my resto.The bike is complete.

Comment

The bike in the pic is technically referred to as a GS1100GLZ. (GS => series, 1100 => engine size, G => shaft drive, L => cruiser style, Z => year = 82)
          This page has a breakdown of the model designations.

Suzuki didn't bother to put the G on the side cover - myabe to save money on letters.

What does your other bike have on the side cover? If it has no side cover, then you should be able to tell by the seat.
          A pic of that one would help for comparison.

Edit: Now that I think about, maybe Suzuki made a non-shaft 1100L that year. I know in the past they made a chain -driven 750L.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2009, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X