Motor mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor mounts

Can anyone out there tell me how many places the engine is bolted into the frame via motor mounts? I am trying to remove the mounts so that the engine can be moved forward ever so slightly to make the job of re-installing the carbs somewhat bearable. I am still using the stock airbox and the fit is extremely tight.

Mr. "1980GS1000E" had this suggestion recently and I figured I would give it a try. If I am only able to gain 1/2" more clearance it would all be worthwhile. BTW, this is for my "79 GS 1000.

Thanks in advance,

Larry
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

The engine has 5 mounts. 1 front, 2 rear and 1 either side under the cdi and alt cover. You have to loosen the rear exhaust mounts and back the chain off aswell to jiggle the engine. Should have a huge gap there ionce you have done all that

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
      The engine has 5 mounts. 1 front, 2 rear and 1 either side under the cdi and alt cover. You have to loosen the rear exhaust mounts and back the chain off aswell to jiggle the engine. Should have a huge gap there ionce you have done all that
      Merely loosening the rear exhaust mounts might not be enough. You might have to loosen or remove the header pipes, too.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Replace the hard old intake boots, The carbs should slide in easy

Comment

replacing the old intake boots is not an option for this model. At least that is what I have been told. I also looked for them from different fiches and can not see that they are available.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            The carbs should slide in easy
            I only wish they would but for some reason they do not. BTW, they do seem somewhat pliable. They are not all that hard from age.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
              I have found 6 mounts. 2 front, 2 rear, and 2 in the mid point between the fronts and backs.
              I have loosened the chain as well but could not see anywhere else to loosen anything. I thought sure the engine would either move forward or downward but as of right now, nothing. Hopefully, it is the exhaust mounts that is holding up my progress. I will try that in a couple of hours and post the results.

Thanks to all of you,

Larry
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                replacing the old intake boots is not an option for this model. At least that is what I have been told. I also looked for them from different fiches and can not see that they are available.
                You will find the intake boot on the Air Cleaner fiche, not on the carb fiche. The part number is 13110-49000 and you need four of them.

Comment

Thanks Don, I will see if I can get them as I will be needing them sooner or later anyway.

Larry
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                    You will find the intake boot on the Air Cleaner fiche, not on the carb fiche. The part number is 13110-49000 and you need four of them.
                    Sorry to disagree Don but I just now looked at the air cleaner fiche from my nearest dealer and it does not show the boots as being available.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Sorry to disagree Don but I just now looked at the air cleaner fiche from my nearest dealer and it does not show the boots as being available.

Don is right. That is the part. Part no 20 on the diagram.....

Last edited by portdave; 06-10-2009, 10:32 PM. Reason: forgot the part no
                      David
                      1998 Suzuki Bandit
                      1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                      1978 GS1000 - gone
                      1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Well then.............I stand corrected. Thanks for the link as well. I wonder why my dealer can not get these.

Pricey little buggers aren't they. Oh well, what's another $100 for my hobby bike? I guess that is why we buy these toys, so we can put more money into them than we will ever be able to get back.

Thanks again and I hope Don is not upset with me.

Larry

Edit here: I double checked that fiche and we are talking about two different items here. What is available are the "intake pipes". Not what I need. I need the rubber boots that goes into the stock air box. This is what SqDancerLynn was telling me to replace.
                        Last edited by alke46; 06-10-2009, 11:45 PM. Reason: wrong parts
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Thanks again and I hope Don is not upset with me.

Larry

Edit here: I double checked that fiche and we are talking about two different items here. What is available are the "intake pipes". Not what I need. I need the rubber boots that goes into the stock air box. This is what SqDancerLynn was telling me to replace.
                          Larry, of course not. We are here to help each other, but in the end it is up to the individual whether they take the advice offered or not.

BTW the intake boot that SQDANCERLYNN was talking about is the part that I gave you the part number for. It goes between the carbs and the cylinder head. These boots need to be flexible to slip the carbs up and into them.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                            Larry, of course not. We are here to help each other, but in the end it is up to the individual whether they take the advice offered or not.

BTW the intake boot that SQDANCERLYNN was talking about is the part that I gave you the part number for. It goes between the carbs and the cylinder head. These boots need to be flexible to slip the carbs up and into them.
                            Understood but these boots are still OK. It's the airbox side that I would like to replace.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Larry it looks like these boots are not available for the VM carbs, you can get them for the CVs. Do a search on how to soften them up on the GSR, I know I have read some stuff on them somewhere.

The other option is to change to a later model 1000 head with the CV carbs and you can get all the bits you want. (Just Joking)

Comment

Working...
                              X