X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

light knoking sound

Hello guys,
    i just did a valve adjustment on my 1982 850 l
    when i was done i notice a light,light knoking sound coming from the left side of the engine.
    what could this be do i need to sync the carbs? how do i sync the carb?
    thanks

It is not uncommon for the valve train to be noisy after an adjustment. As the valves become tighter the engine will run quieter. Once properly adjusted the valve train will have a sound similar to a sewing machine.

If your carbs have not been synced they should be vacuum synced. Not difficult to do but you need either a morgan carbtune or mercury sticks to do the job.

Comment

Yes sync the carbs so that the engine will run smoother. An occasional light knocking sound might be from the cams moving around.

I would be more concerned about a continuous knocking sound especially if the engine didn't make this sound before the valve adjustment.

Comment

This might be way off, but just for giggles put your ear to the gas tank when the bike is knocking. I had a mystery knock appear from out of the blue and it was the Petcock knocking.......Im not sure if your year has a vacuum operated petcock or not (Someone with more experience will be able to tell you)....worth a shot right? Good Luck

Comment

Working...
        X