87 gs 750 E leaking gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 gs 750 E leaking gas

I bought this bike about a month ago and havent been able to ride much becasue, it starts fine but after a minute of two, then fuel starts running out of the bottom of the carbs through the drain tubes. i have rebuilt the Petcock and it still leaks.
    any help be appreciated. i am a newbie to bikes so details to help fix would be nice.
    and i want to get it goin before i leave for AF Basic in a month and half

Sounds like the float is hanging up or you have some debris in the needle seat that's not letting the needle valve close.

First try gently tapping on the fuel bowl with a screwdriver handle. If this doesn't stop the leak, remove the carbs and clean them.

When was the last time the carbs were cleaned?

Comment

the guy i bought it from ( a friend but dont know whats wrong either) said he cleaned the carbs earlier this year or last fall. and it is usually #2 carb leaking

Comment

Unless you can vouch for the competency of the PO's carb rebuilding skills, I would assume that they need to be cleaned. It does not take much to clog up the carbs. Dirty gas or gas that sits in the carbs is enough to cause you problems.

The petcock is hooked to the #2 carb so it's probably leaking. Replace the petcock with a new one. Rebuilds sometimes work, sometimes they don't. I had to replace mine when I got my bike. z1 enterprises has good prices on petcocks.

Comment

is there a site that you know of that explains how to rebuild them. like i said i am a newbie and engine stuff for now. i will be working on jet engines soon. lol

Comment

is there a site that you know of that explains how to rebuild them.
            Are you talking about rebuilding the petcock or the carbs? This site is a great resource for information on carb rebuilding.

Here is the link

To rebuild the petcock, you purchase a rebuild kit, take the old one apart, clean it and replace the parts. IMHO you are better off replacing the petcock rather than rebuilding.

Comment

Working...
            X