Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pull-in-clutch-to-start defeat relay ?

I have a '80 GS550

Has anyone heard of installing a relay so that when the tranny is in neutral (green panel light on) the normally open circuit in the clutch handle is jumped out so one can start without having to pull in the clutch?

you dont need one...just trace the wires coming from the clutch lever switch into the headlamp bucket...unplug them from the harness, then plug the harness ends into eachother...system defeated...Just make sure youre in neutral before you start the bike from now on...

Comment

Originally posted by fgrable@sbcglobal.net View Post
      I have a '80 GS550

Has anyone heard of installing a relay so that when the tranny is in neutral (green panel light on) the normally open circuit in the clutch handle is jumped out so one can start without having to pull in the clutch?
      I dont know the wiring diagram for this bike but I am curious.

What benefit can be derived by achieving this?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        you dont need one...just trace the wires coming from the clutch lever switch into the headlamp bucket...unplug them from the harness, then plug the harness ends into eachother...system defeated...Just make sure youre in neutral before you start the bike from now on...

I think he wans this to defeat the starter interlock switch when in neutral only.

this would have to get tied ito the circuits for the indicator light perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
          Some bikes require three hands for starting. Some creative riders have modified their starting routines so they squeeze the clutch with the left hand, pull the 'choke' knob (the one in the center of the steering stem on pre-'82 bikes) with their right hand and push the starter button with their right elbow.

To cut down on the circus act, bypassing the clutch switch by re-routing the wires as CafeKid mentioned, you just verify the bike is in neutral, pull the 'choke' knob with the left hand, press the starter button with your right thumb.

If fgrable is looking for something more elaborate, I'm sure it's possible to retro-fit to an older bike, and it is a feature on many newer bikes, but it's much easier to simply verify the bike is in neutral, then start with or without pulling the clutch lever.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There would be some intersting changes as the circuit is a series only one flow.

With some diodes and some extra wire you can add another two circuits and split them all. Or an easier way it to install a switch in the harness leading from the clutch to override it.

Is pulling in the clutch too much to ask, I mean your hands are right there anyways?

When working on a Suzuki I take some trusty old velcro strips and strap the clutch down to the grip so I can start with one hand. I have also seen some guys use reusable zipties, but prolong use indents the grips.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2009, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Some bikes require three hands for starting. Some creative riders have modified their starting routines so they squeeze the clutch with the left hand, pull the 'choke' knob (the one in the center of the steering stem on pre-'82 bikes) with their right hand and push the starter button with their right elbow.

To cut down on the circus act, bypassing the clutch switch by re-routing the wires as CafeKid mentioned, you just verify the bike is in neutral, pull the 'choke' knob with the left hand, press the starter button with your right thumb.

If fgrable is looking for something more elaborate, I'm sure it's possible to retro-fit to an older bike, and it is a feature on many newer bikes, but it's much easier to simply verify the bike is in neutral, then start with or without pulling the clutch lever.

never thought of a choke knob
              my bike has a handy lever used by the right thumb whilst disengaging the clutch you can start with two hand no probs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                ...Just make sure youre in neutral before you start the bike from now on...
                Or just always start the bike on its side stand, if the sidestand is down the bike will not start in gear nor will it keep running if you put the bike in gear while the stand is down.

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs1100 View Post
                  Or just always start the bike on its side stand, if the sidestand is down the bike will not start in gear nor will it keep running if you put the bike in gear while the stand is down.
                  What bike are you riding?

Just get rid of the clutch switch, it's for morons who can't ride anyway.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    What bike are you riding?

Just get rid of the clutch switch, it's for morons who can't ride anyway.
                    I like the interlock
                    I depress the starter button and then pull in the clutch to start.
                    its smooth and beautiful

Comment

I like the interlock
                      I depress the starter button and then pull in the clutch to start.
                      its smooth and beautiful
                      Pushing the starter button is smooth and beautiful too, and only requires two hands.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs1100 View Post
                        Your bike must not be old, my bike knows of none of these safetys. Clutch-starter interlock is all I have.

I've considered wiring in all the new style safetys but since I'm not much of an idiot the only regular benefit is one hand starting which I haven't yet found worth the trouble of wiring it all up.

Comment

I dont know the wiring diagram for this bike but I am curious.

Instead of having NO safey interlock by wiring the clutch switch closed, the relay would only bypass the interlock when tranny is in neutral.

Older bikes in general, had no safety interlocks. Which I am fine with but since the safety mechanism is there, why not use it?

My BMW has an interlock but it's bypassed when the tranny is in neutral. It just makes it easier to toy with the choke while cranking. Those that have perfectfully tuned machines can probably pull the choke to a known degree, crank, its starts and stays running...no fiddling. Some of us are not lucky

Comment

I just sorted out how to do this for an GS1100E that has idiot light and switchs for neutral and kickstand (as well as clutch).

I need to document it as I only have a hand drawn schematic at this time. Will update below.

I porovide various alternatives to implementation which depends upon the polarity of the switchs and what the desired behavior is. Maybe update tonite

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                              Your bike must not be old, my bike knows of none of these safetys. Clutch-starter interlock is all I have.

I've considered wiring in all the new style safetys but since I'm not much of an idiot the only regular benefit is one hand starting which I haven't yet found worth the trouble of wiring it all up.
                              Well I guess your right I overlooked that. Most everything I work on is 2003 and newer, cept maybe a tire change here and there and oil...

Comment

Working...
                              X