Siamese carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Siamese carb question

I am trying to overhaul my carbs on a 1985 gs550L. I was wondering if it is okay to gunk the carb with the throttle valve and throttle springs in place. If so how are you suppose to take off the screws that are pinned/staked on the throttle valve itself without damaging them? Thanks

Originally posted by Tarsyn View Post
    I am trying to overhaul my carbs on a 1985 gs550L. I was wondering if it is okay to gunk the carb with the throttle valve and throttle springs in place. If so how are you suppose to take off the screws that are pinned/staked on the throttle valve itself without damaging them? Thanks

I wonder if there are o rings or seals on the shaft.
    I have dipped mine with no ill effect and not removed the shaft.

perhaps the things is machines to very close tolerance.
    there are end caps sealing the shaft ends on the outer sides.

Comment

Dip the carb bodies without removing the throttle butterflies et all... they're not really meant to be removed anyway.

Make sure you REMOVE all the other stuff though: pilot & main jets, choke rail & choke plungers, mixture screws (may have to drill out the pressed in plugs for these), diaphrams & slides.

Order new o-rings from Robert Barr, including intake o-rings.

Good luck,

Mike
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

i have dipped mine over night twice in a row(i have the same carbs) suzuki tells you how to remove it but as stated they must be good orings or something because it doesnt hurt them. Plus this newage carb dip doesnt cut it compared to the old stuff

Comment

I wasnt aware Robert has an oring set for the siamese carbs...Last i checked, he didnt...

Comment

i havent ordered his kit but from what im told you just buy the normal bs kit and use what you get, they fit and he also has the intake orings but you might have to tell him what size

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              I wasnt aware Robert has an oring set for the siamese carbs...Last i checked, he didnt...
              Hey TCK, Robert doesn't sell a kit "proper" for these carbs, but the CV carb o-ring kit fits (I've rebuilt these same carbs previously with a kit from him). There will be extra o-rings, most notably the fuel tee o-rings.

Originally posted by twiggy2cents View Post
              i havent ordered his kit but from what im told you just buy the normal bs kit and use what you get, they fit and he also has the intake orings but you might have to tell him what size
              As I remember, you want the "large" size intake o-rings, but just buy them both (small set & large set) if unsure, they aren't that much...

Best bet is to remove one & measure it.
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                Hey TCK, Robert doesn't sell a kit "proper" for these carbs, but the CV carb o-ring kit fits (I've rebuilt these same carbs previously with a kit from him). There will be extra o-rings, most notably the fuel tee o-rings.

As I remember, you want the "large" size intake o-rings, but just buy them both (small set & large set) if unsure, they aren't that much...

Best bet is to remove one & measure it.
                Damn...thanks for the info!! Last time i worked on one of those carbs i went round and round looking for a set that would fit...Ended up NOT needed them after all, but its nice to know they're a standard size...Im sure i will run into them again...

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I will just go ahead and dip them with them on. I ordered the orings from Robert Barr and he shipped them straight away. The intake orings are the large size. I am glad I ordered them because my old ones were as flat at pancakes and as hard as ceramic. I noticed my air mixture screws were set almost at bottom. Should i just set them back to where they where when I removed them? Also on the smaller jets is it spring washer oring or spring oring washer? Thanks Travis

Comment

Start with the screws about 2 turns out. Does not really matter where they started.

From top to bottom: spring, washer, o-ring.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      At Robert's suggestion I ordered the BS carb kit, the intake o-rings, screw set, float rings, and washer set.
                      It is his 'suggestion' as he has not personally worked or confirmed that the kit work, he is going by reports from satisfied clients. For me he indicated I should order "small and email him" which is what I did in order to get the 30mm size.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2009, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I will just go ahead and dip them with them on. I ordered the orings from Robert Barr and he shipped them straight away. The intake orings are the large size. I am glad I ordered them because my old ones were as flat at pancakes and as hard as ceramic. I noticed my air mixture screws were set almost at bottom. Should i just set them back to where they where when I removed them? Also on the smaller jets is it spring washer oring or spring oring washer? Thanks Travis
                        One of my carbs didn't respond at all to the air mixture screw, the other did and was happiest at 2.5 turns out on both sides. I'll try again when the carb rebuild is complete.

Comment

Working...
                        X