Found my air mixture screws, '83 650 Kat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found my air mixture screws, '83 650 Kat

I have stock jets in my carbs with stock air box along with 4 into 1 exhaust. My plugs are white and I believe I need to go up one jet size, or can I max out my air mixture screws on the carbs?

Thanks

Maxing out the pilot mixture screws will only have effect in the lower rpm ranges. A richer main will help but the needles need help too. You can try shimming them but the taper is the bigger problem with stock needles.

Comment

With a 4-into-1 pipe, you will need to go up more than just one jet size. Probably three, but reading the plugs is the only real way to tell. Prepare yourself for getting the carbs off and back on the bike MANY times trying to get the jetting right.

After it's all said and done, you won't have that much more power, so you're gonna have to ask yourself, "was it all really worth it to go to pods?"

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Save the hastle and get a Dynojet kit... It will take you from Stage one thru three, incase you go to pods later (i recommend sticking with the airbox..)

Comment

The 650 only has a stage three Dynojet kit.
          Develop a great plan for boosting your motorcycle’s performance by using our convenient, reliable motorcycle carburetor Jet Kits available online. Once you see these kits in action, it will become clear why they’re the products that started the Dynojet fuel tuning legacy. They’ll effortlessly increase power and smoothness throughout the entire rev range. Whether your bike is stock, heavily modified, or created for high-speed racing, our Jet Kits can tune your air/fuel ratio to perfection. Not only will our motorcycle Jet Kits drastically improve your performance, but they’ll also show immediate results. With an increased power output of 5-8% and a fully adjustable design, our kits are the perfect companions to any rider. Expand your vehicle’s performance capabilities today with them.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            The 650 only has a stage three Dynojet kit.
            http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/suzuki.aspx
            Bummer... Well, if you DO decide on the pods (something Bill here would LOVE to see) at least you are sure that the kit will set you right on just about the first install...And, talk to Bill about initial settings...he's been pretty much right on with all the advice he's given me and others!

Comment

I don't really care if you run pods or not. I just get tired of people saying it is such a pita and can't be done for the bike to run dead on.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

What do you use for needle shims? Or can you order them? I will try shimming first as I do not have to take the carbs off to try them.

Thanks

Comment

Go to a Radio Shack and get the assorted small washers. Find the washers that are the same size as the one on top of the needle spring.
                  Take off the plastic spacer over the clip on the needle. Notice how much needle is sticking out the top of the spacer. Replace the spacer with the same length of washers. Remove two off the top and that will raise (richen) the needle one notch. I would start with removing one washer.
                  Last edited by chef1366; 06-15-2009, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    Save the hastle and get a Dynojet kit... It will take you from Stage one thru three, incase you go to pods later (i recommend sticking with the airbox..)
                    I agree with the Dynojet kit.......but as far as the PODS goes, I can definately see the difference with them on my 550EF!! I'm pulling the front end off the ground now and this Demon is alive...........

Comment

Working...
                    X