1982 GS 850 GL and 1980 GS 850 G compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS 850 GL and 1980 GS 850 G compatibility

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1980 Gs 850 G for parts purposes. Are the parts on this bike compatible with those on my 1982 GS 850 GL? If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it.

If you are talking mechanical/electrical yes, Cosmetic items tank side covers ?? NO

Comment

Compatibility G=L

As far as I know, the only difference is cosmetic ie: tank, side covers, handlebars, air box. Check Bike Bandit. Bob

Comment

Clarification

Thanks for your replies. Just for clarification purposes; the mechanical/electrical parts are compatible, however the cosmetic pieces will not work, is that correct? And thanks again for your help.

Comment

The ignition systems on the 80 and the 82 are different. Look at the size of the ignitor box in each.

The wheels are also different. Look at the pattern of the "spokes" in each. The earlier bike has a "pentagram" pattern, and the other has a slightly different one.

The front wheel of the 82 is designed to accept a tubeless tire. The earlier pentagram wheel is a bit narrower, and it may or may not accept a tube. They're totally interchangeable, however.

The carbs are identical internally. The jetting is exactly the same. The outer linkage is different due to the design of the choke. On the later bike, the choke lever is located under the left-hand switch; on the earlier one, it's right behind the handlebars, in the middle, and you pull on it to choke.

Minor differences, most of them.

Nick

Comment

Different forks as well.

bill

Comment

Different forks as well.

You're correct. The forks on the "L" model have a leading front axle, where the standard model has the axle placed at the lower end of the forks. That also means the front fender is different, and will not interchange.

Nick

Comment

Working...
              X