renewing the finish on discoloered aluminum..is factory finish clearcoated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

renewing the finish on discoloered aluminum..is factory finish clearcoated

I'd inquired about how to restore the aluminum finish on the forks and engine covers....I recvd a reply about using up to 600 grit paper but do I need to clear coat the work after I'm done and do I buff it with the fine grit in strokes or circular motions or just experiment til I find the look I desire.The finish now appears faded and discoloered in spots but not pitted.maybe the bike sat in sunlight for a long period,not sure.It was an old garage find.Runs great and looks very good but could use the extra restoration.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2009, 11:13 PM. Reason: mispelled a title word

Originally posted by tkg1061 View Post
    I'd inquired about how to restore the aluminum finish on the forks and engine covers....I recvd a reply about using up to 600 grit paper but do I need to clear coat the work after I'm done and do I buff it with the fine grit in strokes or circular motions or just experiment til I find the look I desire.The finish now appears faded and discoloered in spots but not pitted.maybe the bike sat in sunlight for a long period,not sure.It was an old garage find.Runs great and looks very good but could use the extra restoration.
    Use some MOTHERS aluminum polish after you get done with the fine paper and the shine will come back. The smoother you sand it the better the shine will come out but you have to strip all of the clear coat off the aluminum in order to get the good shine. As for the clearcoating after I don't know how you would do that.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2009, 11:31 PM.

Comment

You'll have to sand thru the factory clearcoat..THATS what most of the discolouration is likely from...after years it starts to yellow...The QUICKEST way is to pick up some Aircraft Stripper/Remover from Autozone or the like. It will eat that crap off in a jiff...BE VERY CAREFULL WHERE YOU GET IT,WHAT YOU GET IT ON ETC ....its some POTENT stuff. (read: wear gloves!) After you wash/wipe it off, sand up using 600-800 and 1000 grit, then, if you really want it to look like chrome, a die grinder fitted with a sewn polishing wheel and some white jewlers rouge will make the stuff so shiney you can shave out of it...the sandpaper will look perty good too..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        You'll have to sand thru the factory clearcoat..THATS what most of the discolouration is likely from...after years it starts to yellow...The QUICKEST way is to pick up some Aircraft Stripper/Remover from Autozone or the like. It will eat that crap off in a jiff...BE VERY CAREFULL WHERE YOU GET IT,WHAT YOU GET IT ON ETC ....its some POTENT stuff. (read: wear gloves!) After you wash/wipe it off, sand up using 600-800 and 1000 grit, then, if you really want it to look like chrome, a die grinder fitted with a sewn polishing wheel and some white jewlers rouge will make the stuff so shiney you can shave out of it...the sandpaper will look perty good too..

Jewelery Rouge is technically red, (according to jewelers). I see some white 'chrome' 'rouge' polishing compound on the web. What exactly did you use to polish w/grinder & wheel. Thanks.

Comment

I have an 8" sewn-fabric wheel from Harbor Freight in my bench grinder and use the white polishing compound from Lowe's.
          I have not put any clearcoat on, I just use some polish at the beginning of each riding season.

Are the results worth it? Judge for yourself.

Here is one of the float bowls before the carb body got painted:

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Holy cow, man thats wicked Steve. I would have hid my bike if you drove that thing up here. Man o man. Hey if the proof is in the pudding then listen to Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by sachsaca View Post
              Holy cow, man thats wicked Steve. I would have hid my bike if you drove that thing up here. Man o man. Hey if the proof is in the pudding then listen to Steve.
              I read some posts by Escobar on this site who has a bike polishing business. He said the key to the deal is the bench grinder as you need to get about 4000 rpm. Do a search on him,very informative.
              http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
              1978 GS1000C
              1979 GS1000E
              1980 GS1000E
              2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I have an 8" sewn-fabric wheel from Harbor Freight in my bench grinder and use the white polishing compound from Lowe's.
                I have not put any clearcoat on, I just use some polish at the beginning of each riding season.

Are the results worth it? Judge for yourself.

Here is one of the float bowls before the carb body got painted:

Wow! After seeing that I think I'm going to paint my WHOLE bike flat black to cover up the rust, corrosion, scrapes, dings etc..
                Nice work.

Comment

man thats nice i am going to try that, nice job

Comment

If I could just get Steve to polish up mine like his wifes.........

Comment

Working...
                    X