Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting procedure

Sit on the bike.

If you have a manual fuel petcock, turn it to the on position.

Stand the bike upright.

Using your left foot, flip up the side stand.

Without putting your left foot back on the ground, use it to find neutral.

Rock the bike slightly to make sure you are in neutral.

Put your left foot back on the ground.

Turn on the key with your right hand.

Return your right hand to the throttle.

Using your left thumb, depress the starter button.

Simple and foolproof, no interlocks required. If you have interlocks, then this simple procedure won't work.

Your bike fuel injected?

When do you activate the 'choke'?

The only part of that procedure that won't work with 'safety' interlocks is the left thumb on the starter button. Any particular reason for that?
    After all, most of us have a thumb on the right hand, too, and that hand was just placed on the throttle grip.

Last edited by Steve; 06-12-2009, 11:46 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
      Sit on the bike.

Choke the bike if you're starting it cold.

Stand the bike upright.

Using your left thumb, depress the horn button.

After checking to see if the horn works, pull in the clutch with your left hand (in case of clutch safety switch), then using your right thumb, depress the starter button.

Simple and foolproof, no interlocks required. If you have interlocks, then this simple procedure won't work.
      Just thought I'd help you out there, mate!!! Our old bikes still use FINE-C.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2009, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I was gonna find out when you put your helmet on during all that?

On yea and don't do your gloves first or U will play he ll tring to get your chin strap sinched.

Comment

And nobody mentioned doing my T-CLOCK

THE T-CLOCK INSPECTION

If you buy a new bike, it's worth asking the dealer's tech folks what things you should make part of your daily check.

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation created the T-CLOCK mnemonic as a memory and orgaization ad for a pre-ride safety check of a typical motorcycle. Each letter represent a particular inspection category, as follows:
          • T - Tires & Wheels
          • C - Controls
          • L - Lights & Electrics
          • O - Oil
          • C - Chassis
          • K - Kickstand

TIRES AND WHEELS
          Tires:
          Pressure correct (cold), tread condition. No cuts, bulges, punctures of foreign objects.
          Wheels: Spokes tight and intact; rims true; no free play when flexed; bearing seals intact; spin freely.
          Brakes: Firm feel; sufficient pad depth, no leaks or links in hoses or cables.
          CONTROLS
          Levers:
          Pivot bolt and nut; action and position correct; pivots lubed.
          Cables: Ends and shafts lubed; no fraying or kinks; no binding when handlebar turned; proper adjustment.
          Hoses: Check for damage or leaks, proper routing.
          Throttle: Snaps closed freely when released; no excess play.
          LIGHTS
          Brake and Tailight(s):
          All filaments work; both levers actuate brake light.
          Headlight: All filaments work; properly aimed; no damage.
          Lenses: Clean; no condensation; tight.
          Reflectors: Clean; intact.
          Battery: Fluid level; terminals clean and tight; held down securely; vent tube not kinked or mis-routed.
          Wiring: Check for pinching or fraying; properly routed; no corrosion.
          OIL AND FLUIDS
          Levels:
          Brake fluid, oil, final drive, transmission, coolant, fuel.
          Leaks: Check all systems for leaks.
          Condition: Check color of brake fluid & coolant.
          CHASSIS
          Frame:
          Paint lifting or peeling may indicate cracking.
          Steering head & swingarm bearings: Lift wheels off floor, grab lower fork legs and pull and push to feel for play; repeat at rear. Turn fork to feel for detents in bearings.
          Suspension: Smooth movement; proper adjustment; no leaks.
          Chain or belt: Tension; lube, look for wear.
          Fasteners: Look for missing or loose threaded fasteners, clips, pins.
          KICKSTAND
          Sidestand:
          Retracts firmly; no bending or damage; cut-out switch operates; springintact.
          Centerstand: Retracts firmly, no damage.
          </B>

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
            Sit on the bike.

Stand the bike upright.

Using your left thumb, depress the starter button.

Now, I am one of those who despise the factory clutch interlock, but, I DO have to say that, no matter how many years of doing the same proceedure over and over its been, sometimes, say, if you're running late for work, or trying to catch up with the guys who left you at the gas stop, or whatever, you get into a rush. It happens, we all do it, dont deny it, no one is judging you for it. But, all it takes is that ONE time, just once, of forgetting to do something as simple as putting your sidestand up, and things will get very brutal, very quickly. Its happened to quite a few on the board, Ive done it (thankfully caught it in time) Ive also had a spring fail and allow the stand to come down after a series of bumps, on the HIGHWAY...that was interesting... But having that stupid red SIDE STAND dummy light on the dash has saved my bacon a time or two. And, for some, having a kickstand interlock might just be something that gives them more assurance, or maybe their wife, etc. Dont bust balls over it...

Comment

Red,
              If you had not seen it, here is a link I just posted last nite. It is a safety interlock design even better than the late model Gixxers have.

It only stops your from :
              • driving your bike forward with the starter
              • driving around with the kickstand down
              You can still stand by the side of your bike, put in neutral and push the starter button (without clutch). The Safety interlock will keep bad things from happening as would ensue from the two conditions above.

Pos

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Hey, I've actually forgotten to put the sidestand up more than once and never gone down because of it. A little scrape, flick the bars to stand the bike upright and kick the stand up.

Anyway, thanks for the posts and corrections!

Don't know if you noticed it, but all the interlocks annoy me.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  I was gonna find out when you put your helmet on during all that?

On yea and don't do your gloves first or U will play he ll tring to get your chin strap sinched.
                  I didn't mention putting my shoes on or brushing my teeth after getting up either. This is getting more complicated all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    Now, I am one of those who despise the factory clutch interlock, but, I DO have to say that, no matter how many years of doing the same proceedure over and over its been, sometimes, say, if you're running late for work, or trying to catch up with the guys who left you at the gas stop, or whatever, you get into a rush. It happens, we all do it, dont deny it, no one is judging you for it. But, all it takes is that ONE time, just once, of forgetting to do something as simple as putting your sidestand up, and things will get very brutal, very quickly. Its happened to quite a few on the board, Ive done it (thankfully caught it in time) Ive also had a spring fail and allow the stand to come down after a series of bumps, on the HIGHWAY...that was interesting... But having that stupid red SIDE STAND dummy light on the dash has saved my bacon a time or two. And, for some, having a kickstand interlock might just be something that gives them more assurance, or maybe their wife, etc. Dont bust balls over it...

Had that happen to me for the first time last year. Me and another guy got left at the gas station because we smoke and the other guys were getting itchy. Hurry and get the gear on, start her and take off. About 1/2 mile down the road the other guy comes flying up next to me pointing at the lower part of my bike like my engine's about to fall out. I realized it was my sidestand and kicked it back up just in time to slow down for a nice tight left hand turn. That could have been disastrous. Now when i get on her the first thing I do is put the sidestand up.

Comment

Working...
                    X