Mystery wires in headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery wires in headlight

Well now that my project ('79 GS1000L) is all sorted out mechanically and cosmetically, I am now out to get the accessories working. Left side turn signals will not turn on (right works fine), the front brake lever does not activate the rear brake light, and the headlight low beam does not work.

Here are the non-attached mystery wires: white with a red sleeve on it, brown, and orange with a green stripe on it. All of these unattached wires are female connectors. I have done a little manual reading and it looks like the brown may indeed be un-mated from the factory.

Any experts out there? Regardless, all advice is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2009, 04:43 PM.

Go to this thread I started and look at the pictures. It might help.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Strick View Post
      Well now that my project ('79 GS1000L) is all sorted out mechanically and cosmetically, I am now out to get the accessories working. Left side turn signals will not turn on (right works fine), the front brake lever does not activate the rear brake light, and the headlight low beam does not work.

Here are the non-attached mystery wires: white with a red sleeve on it, brown, and orange with a green stripe on it. All of these unattached wires are female connectors. I have done a little manual reading and it looks like the brown may indeed be un-mated from the factory.

Any experts out there? Regardless, all advise is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks guys!
      White with a red sleeve and the orange with green tracer i do believe to be your front brake light switch wires...The brown is INDEED unconnected from the factory, its an "aftermarket" accessories wire...

Comment

Thanks guys great advice. I looked a little more closely at my front brake and right side switch housing. I have no front brake sensor (wires). It seems to have been removed. I will try to find one on e-bay. Also, I still can't get the left side turn signals to work. I think it is in the switch.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2009, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys great advice. I looked a little more closely at my front brake and right side switch housing. I have no front brake sensor (wires). It seems to have been removed. I will try to find one on e-bay. Also, I still can't get the left side turn signals to work. I think it is in the switch.
          I would suggest picking up a HYDROLIC brake light switch. Easy to wire in to your stock system using the existing wires, and you dont have to futz around with them like the stock switch...Its simply a new banjo bolt that you use in place of the stock one on the master cylinder...it contains a pressure switch. When you pull the lever, the pressure closes the switch and the light comes on...no slider BS...

What happens when you turn the left signals on??

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            What happens when you turn the left signals on??
            Nothing!

I have replaced bulbs with new ones. I used a light stick to determine if the connections were hot = nothing! I am pretty sure now it is at the switch. That is unless you have a thought?

Thanks again!

Comment

Well, i dont believe that model had self cancelling signals, which complicated things a bit. If it didnt, the set up is rather simple. Did you check the flasher unit??

Comment

update: the prior advice was correct about the front brake switch wire being the orange (with green stripe) and white (with red tube). I installed the new switch and front brake now works.

Left turn signal - the flasher unit is hit and miss on the right side. The left signals won't even turn on, which is what happens with NO flasher or is the flasher unit is dead. I have not looked to see if this has a signal cancellation unit, but I will. I have done a little troubleshooting at the switch with no luck so far.

Has anyone just purchase a low amp car flasher as a replacement?

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks!
                  Yes, some generic three-prong flashers will even fit into the existing socket. My stock flasher relay quit working so I replaced it, and the socket, with cheap off-the-shelf parts from my local auto store. Read about it here:

Turn Signal Relay Replacement

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

update: the prior advice was correct about the front brake switch wire being the orange (with green stripe) and white (with red tube). I installed the new switch and front brake now works.

Left turn signal - the flasher unit is hit and miss on the right side. The left signals won't even turn on, which is what happens with NO flasher or is the flasher unit is dead. I have not looked to see if this has a signal cancellation unit, but I will. I have done a little troubleshooting at the switch with no luck so far.

Thanks!
                    If it is "hit or miss" on one side, and not working on the other, I would take a closer look at the switch.

You can use a trouble/test light, but I prefer a volt-ohmmeter.

The meter can save you a lot of time and answer questions for you.

If you have to do so, you can take the switch apart. Do that inside a large, clear, plastic bag, like one from the cleaners, so you can work on it inside the bag......and avoid the otherwise near-inevitable loss of tiny parts.
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I used the extra brown wire on my 1000G to power the third wire on a set of front turn signal/running lights from a later model GS.
                      sigpic

SUZUKI:
                      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
                      X