clicks, but won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clicks, but won't start

My sig is the bike. I took the carbs off to adjust the floats, put them back on and started it using full choke. I let it idle on choke for about a min or two, took the choke off and slightly throttled on and off for about a min or two. Wanted to take a quick ride so I got my helmet, put it on and went to start it where it only clicked when I hit the starter button. Didn't turn over at all. I can hear the clicking sound every time I hit the button as many times I want, but it wont turn over at all. Didn't touch any electrical, just the carbs. Just really weird and not sure where to check. Thanks in advance guys.

Hearing a 'click' is good. At least you know you are getting power halfway from the battery to the starter. Grab your test light, ground the clip, check the starter side of the solenoid. When you push the starter and hear the 'click', the test light should come ON. If it does, move down, remove the cover to the starter, make sure you are getting power there, too. If you are, check your starter mounting bolts. They are your ground connection, if they are loose, you may have problems. If they are OK, your starter is at fault. Might be as simple as cleaning the carbon dust out of it, but might also need new brushes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, I'll have to do that when I get a chance. I guess it was better to find this out in my driveway then somewhere else when I would shut the engine off and try to start it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny K View Post
        ... it was better to find this out in my driveway then somewhere else ...
        Count yourself among the lucky ones.

Me? I'm lucky, too, but sometimes it's bad luck.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well it's definitely the starter. Probably the one electrical thing that I have not replaced. Unfortunately I have stripped the two main screws after letting it soak in wd-40 and using a small torch to heat it up still made it strip. After 28 years I'm wondering if those screws were even made to come out. So I'm going to just buy a new starter. Lowest prices around that people recommend and what type? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X