Airbox Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox Woes

Atilla and I are in a discussion about restoring/upgrading the GS650E to running and good looking condition. The airbox has been a point of discussion for awhile.

Of all the things preventing the resolution of the carb problems we have had, this is the toughest. The installation and removal is a bear to say the least and I think just contributes to the lack of understanding of why the bike won't start properly, has mid-range hesistation, etc.

From what I understand it is a highly engineered piece of work and when right is great. What I can't fathom is: why engineer a sophisticated solution and then make it impossible to work on! 8O

There apprears to be some venturi insert in the second carb which provides the vacuum for the petc o c k. This all doesn't make much sense unless that carb is different then the rest.

What's the simplest way to set the carb up with aircleaners and get performance and servicability?

Da Bunnies
    It has been shown on this forum that it is possible to make a GS run well on individual pod filters, I however am a believer in maintaining the plenum chamber( the one directly behind the carbs) and replacing the air filter housing instead with a single slightly larger pod.
    My reasoning is that this maintains the draw characteristics of the standard setup and also allows a larger flow of air through this system and will help to smooth the torque curve throughout the rev range, I also find with this setup the jetting changes required are not as large.
    Dink

Comment

So Dinkster, you're saying lose the sheet metal box and keep the plastic molded (moulded) plenum with the squishy sleeves that mates to the fronts of the carbs. Hmmmm. Will give it a look tonight. thanks for the input.

Comment

YUp that is what I reckon and the best bit is then the plenum and carbs come out together, and relatively easily
        Dink

Comment

The plenum would add some consistency to the tuning chnage as it keeps the tuned length of the carb inlet circuit. Once you put on pods you basically have to (hope!) that you can retune the full range of the carburettor. Also depends on what you plan to do on the exhaust side, engine mods ets etc.

Comment

May do a 4 to 1 on the exhaust side. We are debating mod strategies and dollar input.

Will keep the status up as we go!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X