low rpm cruise breakup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low rpm cruise breakup

I got an 83 gs 1100 that i just rejetted with a dyno jet kit for my vance and hines pipe. Bike starts , idles and runs smooth under full throttle, but when cruising at like 4 to 5k it breaks up and surges. Upon research correct me if im wrong adjusting the mixture screws will help this. There at 2.5 turns out now should i bring them in or out.

Hi Mr gsx1100,

Perhaps "shimming the needle" is what you need? See: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...at_height.html

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

what if i have adjustable needles can i just richen it like that or is shimming like a half step up

Comment

Hi,

Believe me, I'm no carb expert. This adjustment is known to help in the mid-range, which is where you seem to be stumbling. If you have adjustable slots for your needle clips then it couldn't hurt to experiment a bit. Use some extra, thinner washers to make adjustments between the slots.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by gsx1100 View Post
          what if i have adjustable needles can i just richen it like that or is shimming like a half step up
          Yes, and Yes..

Sounds like the mid range circut is running lean. But,

Cruise and RPM measures can mean a few things as to which fuel circut is the problem child. It would be easier to go by throttle position. To do this is easy, just make a scale.

Take a piece of masking tape and place it on your right control/kill/starter switch next to the grip. A stick pin can be pushed into the grip as an indicator, good placement would be close to the top on the grip next to the tape.

Then make a mark on the tape with a pen at idle and full throttle positions. Then 1/2, 1/4 and 3/4 positions.

The air screw will control most of the Idle up to the pilot jet both tend to blend into mid range, which is affected primarily by the slide needle/needle jet. A similar transition happens with the slide needle/needle jet and main jet.

With the stock air box there should not be much to adjust.

Then not to forget the pre-requsites here, boots/o-rings if equiped, sealed air box, and at least bench synchronized carburetors.

Comment

DO STEP #1 FIRST
            DO STEP #1 FIRST
            MAINS MUST BE RIGHT SO THAT YOU CAN PULL HARD TO REDLINE THEn PROCEED TO NEXT STEP
            DO STEP #1 FIRST
            DO STEP #1 FIRST

To properly tune, you MUST:
            1. Have selected the BEST main jet for full throttle power (not just a "good" main jet - we mean "the BEST main jet" for power at high rpm).
            That eliminates the common severe tweaking of the midrange and lower tuning ranges to compensate for a "wrong" main jet.

On yea I forgot

DO STEP #1 FIRST

Comment

LOL...

Yes, Factory Pro has priceless information on their site. There are some other very good reads as well. Take time to browse the site.

But, still Step #1 still requires that the pre-reqs are in check. Oh, and also including confidence in petcock operation, which is one of the pre-reqs I forgot to list.

A main jet can be dialed in for the best power with an air leak.

Comment

The bike pulls real strong from a wide open throttle pass, with a bit of backfiring when deaccelerating. I just synched the carbs and it didn't help much. The only real problem is when taking off slowly from idle it breaks up around 3 to 4 k rpm. Im gonna try richening the needle and see if it helps.

Comment

How did you set the carbs up with the DJ kit?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

did all the steps for a stage 1 which would be 114 mains, stock pilots, lift hole drilled. needle on notch 3. Just changed the needle height to notch 4 runs 100% better so that was the problem.

Comment

Get a set of 117.5 Mikuni main jets and put the needle back where it was.
                      I bet your plugs are white as snow with a wot throttle chop.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                      X