gas tank hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas tank hose

Hello. I had to pull the tank off my GS850g today to fix a broken fuel line. It became much more involved than i thought and when i was done i had a hose that i don't remember where it goes. It comes out from the bottom of the tank in front of the petcock. It is very long and it looks like a drain line. I don't remember this when i took the tank off. I have two drain lines already hooked up on the airbox bracket on the brake side. Is this another drain line? Should it run down behind the airbox in front of the tire? If gas actually came out of this, wouldn't it spray on the exhaust? Thanks for any help.

It comes out by the fuel gauge??

Just run it somewhere near the airbox.

It is an overflow, but I've never heard of gas actually coming out of it
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Not really an overflow. It's there to drain any gas that may leak from the seal for the fuel guage sending unit. I've never seen one leak, so never seen gas come out of one of these hoses.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If its on the bottom of the petcock itself, it may be the vacuum activation line for your fuel flow. It should connect to the #2 carb on the top front part of the carb. When vacuum is applied, it opens a diaphram that allows fuel to flow through the petcock. Does the engine run long without it hooked up? If not, thats what it is!

Comment

Hi Mr. Sauage7,

Yes, the two hoses over the airbox are carb vent tubes. The long hose from the gas tank is another vent tube from the fuel gauge send unit. See the pictures in the following links. I found them on some guy's website.

Where Do These Hoses Go?

Fuel Gauge Send Unit Repair
          (by Mr. Jethro)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X